Opinions please.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please.......

Hey guys! I am going to be buying another guitar in a couple months and I've narrowed it down to two brands. I am either going full on Masterbuilt Jackson Custom shop or I am going to buy a Suhr. This is where I need opinions from my JCF brethren. How many of you guys own or have played a 3K plus Suhr? How do they compare to a custom shop Jackson and which one is a higher quality instrument? Thanks guys!
    Last edited by leftykingv2; 03-14-2014, 08:03 PM.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

They are both high quality. It really comes down to personal preference and how long you are willing to wait for the guitar to be built. I've had both. I prefer the necks on J/C guitars.
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Obviously, Suhr and Jackson are relatively different animals, unless you're thinking of ordering an unbound, dot-inlay, h/s/s, 22 fret DK1 with no graphic, and even then the neck profiles are gonna be different unless you provide very detailed specs / profile info.

I have a Suhr Reb Beach and it's an awesome, awesome guitar. A bit on the heavy side but that goes with the territory with those woods, and the build quality is top notch. Obviously my experience is of just one guitar, but their reputation is remarkable. Though I didn't custom order that guitar so I have not been through that process with Suhr.

I have also ordered a fair few custom Jacksons, and have a fair few CS guitars that I didn't order. The process is not always the most fun and can be frustrating at times, but the results have always been well worth it for me, and I have another JCS guitar on order and I'm just finalising another full CS order. So I guess that says everything - either the guitars are great or I'm an idiot LOL

It's worth noting that Suhr will get you a guitar in 4-6 months, Jackson will probably take 2 years. I don't follow the left-hand market, but I'd wager that a Suhr would be easier to move if circumstances demanded it.

As an aside, I ordered a Tom Anderson through Matt's music and that is an incredible guitar and that whole process was a breeze. For what it's worth..
      Last edited by neilli; 03-14-2014, 08:32 PM.
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

@Neilli that's the Suhr model I've been thinking about!! What's the neck like? Do you know the spec/measurements?
        Last edited by leftykingv2; 03-14-2014, 11:56 PM.
        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

No idea, but I'm sure the dimensions are on-line somewhere. It's more C than most Jacksons though..

Comment

a friend of mine plays nothing but Suhrs, they are great guitars. everyone of his I've played has been awesome and very consistent. Personally i couldnt justify paying that for a guitar, but as far as bolt on's they are as good as it gets. Before Suhr's he played Tom Anderson's, honestly i thought his Anderson's were just as nice, he says the Suhr's are a little nicer, but i couldn't see or feel a difference in quality between the 2 at all.

There is a builder here on LI that used to be John Suhr's apprentice back in the day, he has some cool pics of Reb's original Pensa Suhr being built & had some really cool stories, and surprising secrets of the pensa Suhr guitars.

Comment

Weren't the original Pensa Suhrs basically parts guitars? I remember reading that Anderson made bodies (and necks?) for a bunch of people, but don't recall if Pensa was one of them..

Comment

Just get a Gibson, we know you want to
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Get a 1994 left-handed Gibson
                  Last edited by wilkinsi; 03-15-2014, 07:18 PM.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I've owned both and it really does come down to personal preference they are both killer guitars. One thing that others haven't mentioned is the Gotoh vs the OFR. I prefer the Gotoh. Feels way more massive, solid and not as prissy to adjust.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                      Just get a Gibson, we know you want to
                      The one I have is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                        Get a 1994 left-handed Gibson
                        Don't you mean "Wrong handed?" If you'll excuse me now I have to go watch Baby Metal videos. Head o bang head o bang!

Comment

Originally posted by Dog Boy View Post
                          I've owned both and it really does come down to personal preference they are both killer guitars. One thing that others haven't mentioned is the Gotoh vs the OFR. I prefer the Gotoh. Feels way more massive, solid and not as prissy to adjust.
                          I've actually never played a Gotoh Floyd to my knowledge. What's the quality like on them tuning stability wise?

Comment

the full blown custom were made entirely in house, the cheaper guitars were warmoth. the way he explained it was if the parts werent finished warmoth would send them without logos. so they would order paddle headstock necks without frets and finish them at Rudy's....same thing with bodies, they got them shaped with no routes for electronics or pickups. Surprisingly its a lot more common than people think. if some of guys actually knew what there supposedly $3000+ boutique customs were they'd be pissed.

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                            Weren't the original Pensa Suhrs basically parts guitars? I remember reading that Anderson made bodies (and necks?) for a bunch of people, but don't recall if Pensa was one of them..

Comment

both
                              Birds like you fly straight to heaven

Comment

Working...
                              X