I must be getting old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I must be getting old

What I once considered "old man" guitars are now the guitars I want to play the most.

My strats and full sized strat body guitars, my Les Paul styled bodied guitars and dare I admit it...my tele styled bodied guitars are all getting a lot more attention than any of my shredders. Funny thing is ...due to the compund radius feature of my J/C's, they are one whole hell of a lot easier to play than "old man" styled guitars, but my interest in them is ebbing away. To the point of every one of them is cased up and in storage now.

I can't give a reason for this other than I'm just liking the look and feel of strats and Les Pauls these days. A statement I would have scoffed at just a few years ago. Someday I may sway back to the shredder guitars with the pointy headstocks/double locking tremolos/nasty (in a good way) pickups, but for now, give me a strat or Les Paul and I'm at one with the world.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Oh and P90 pickups are the best sounding pickups ever made
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Yeah, as I've gotten older I've ventured more into semi-hollows, hollows, and other more traditional styles. P90s are indeed great pickups. With that said...

...guitars with a Floyd, big frets, flat radius, and a humbucker in the bridge will likely always remain my absolute favorite.

Comment

right now my go to is three singles and a 7.25 radius with vintage trem...no locking nuthin

Oh and vintage frets to boot! Oh yeah ...and there's only 21 of those at that!
        Last edited by bombtek; 01-17-2014, 02:59 PM.

Comment

I went through a phase a few years ago where I thought I wanted one of those big-assed jazz boxes, mainly because I had never had one. So I wound up buying an Ibanez Artcore. It was very beautiful and classy looking; white with all gold hardware. I hung that beauty on the wall. Yes, sir! It was a thing to behold. Well, Once I got tired of admiring it, it occurred to me that I had barely touched it. It played okay but it just wasn't my style.

Now I've rediscovered a guitar I basically scoffed at for many years: the Fender Stratocaster. Twice I tried to trade my Mexican Strat against something else in a pawn shop. After they completely insulted me, I said "screw it" and took it home. Then out of boredom, I decided to swap out the pickguard. After doing so and reassembling, I played it a bit and was reminded of how good it felt. Now I'm in the market for another one or maybe another American Strat, which I had and traded. Of course, I'll still insist on a humbucker in the bridge position......

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I love my LP and MIM Strat.
            I get the old man guitar though, was looking at 339s and Ibanez semi-hollows even.

Then I big blocked my JT-6 and the Model 6 is once again the go-to as it was when Mom said I was allowed only 2 and I traded in my Ibanez XV500 as a down payment on the 6. Very happy I dumped that one vs the LP. 'course I sought out another XV at a later date...

Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

The problem is called
              inspiration
              or, in this case, lack thereof.

I don't know who the modern day heroes are.

Not that there's anything wrong with those other guitars or the styles they're used for. That's why we own them. If one guitar or one style was enough, why would we ever buy a second.

Comment

I've actually gotten into country music.
                But if you think about it
                modern country is a lot like 80's glam rock
                but with less reverb and a cowboy hat

And I've always loved disco. -no homo-

Comment

No guitar has ever held a place in my heart like my Jacksons, especially the Soloists. But variety is the spice of life and there's nothing wrong with owning and playing other guitars. Even back in the 80's I never had any desire for a guitar that looked like a battle axe or had 50 shades of flashy neon. But hey, some people are into that and that's fine, too.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                    I've always generally despised disco, but..... there are bands and songs I love that could be considered as such. I love the ELO stuff from the 70's and I think Abba was an amazing band.

But hey, why can't we have the best of BOTH worlds?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njwGpdXUFV8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhgjEObtrWE

Last edited by PowerTube; 01-17-2014, 04:41 PM.

Comment

And let's not leave out the country fans......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd16RkIHeKk

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

NO.. just NOOO.. you're not allowed to call "no homo" AND DISCO in the same sentence...

on a related note.. I like some disco too.. LOL
                        GEAR:
                        #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
                        #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
                        #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
                        #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
                        #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
                        AMPS:
                        1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
                        ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

I don't give a shit as long as it's playing metal.

Comment

I've always liked Strats and Les Pauls but my Jacksons are still the best! Disco sucked back then and still does. Oh, and this Country Pop garbage sucks just about as bad as Disco! There, I feel much better now
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

What happened to Endrik? We could use some schooling on disco about right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X