What a difference a refret makes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a difference a refret makes

So I've had these two Les Pauls for a few years - a '94 Classic Premium Plus in amber and an '02 Standard in Cherry Sunburst and a good flame top. I bought the Classic because I always wanted an amber flametop and I bought the Standard because the Cherry Sunburst flametop is a classic look. Beyond the tops and finishes, the Classic has a 60s neck profile (which I prefer) and the Standard has a 50s profile neck (which I don't mind).

Long story short, I've been thinking about selling or trading the Classic because I hated the frets. They were low and wide which I do not like. Conversely the Standard's frets are whatever Gibson used in '02 which is taller than the Classic. After much consternation I decided to look into getting the Classic refretted by a luthier I worked with for about 12 years when I lived in New Hampshire. I contacted him for a price which ended up being a lot less than I expected (old friend deal), even including shipping back and forth.

The net result is I friggin' love the new frets (Dunlop 6100s) and the Classic is now the guitar it should be. It feels like the perfect LP to me. Now I'm going to keep the LP I was going to sell and the LP I was going to keep is going bye bye.

The moral of the story is new frets can equal a new guitar.

Right on. They are a huge part of the overall feel of the neck. Like you, I prefer taller frets. Also, beyond just the spec of the fretwire used, leveling and crowning make a lot of difference to playability. And that gets a lot of extra attention on a refret vs. the factory fretwork.

Comment

Love Jumbos. I wish every guitar came with them.

Comment

Working...
      X