Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customized an Ibanez RGD320. It rocks now! HNGD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customized an Ibanez RGD320. It rocks now! HNGD!

Father's Day coupon on top of a sale price was too good to pass up, so I snagged this Ibanez RGD320 baritone - 26.5" scale. Nice guitars in typical Ibanez fashion, but the pickups were dreadful - although I knew that coming in.

I grabbed a set of SD Full Shreds off the 'Bay, and since I really never use a tone pot, I took that out too. Wired in a 3-way blade switch.

Looks great, plays great, and the price was right! This is about as close to a custom guitar as I've had - well...a custom of my own doing that is...

Couple pics - sorry about the uber-blinding flash. I'll get some outside soon.

nice one, I like the inlays!

Comment

Looks cool!
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I really love Ibanez, and that model as well. Is that the EDGE III on there? I hope not for your sake lol......White looks really good. Cool axe dude!
        -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

I'm guessing from looking at your rig, that your neighbors know you are a guitar player...
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by dvscool View Post
            I really love Ibanez, and that model as well. Is that the EDGE III on there? I hope not for your sake lol......White looks really good. Cool axe dude!
            Thanks, and yeah...not the top-of-the-line trem, but I really don't use the trem much at all anyway, so it'll do.

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
            I'm guessing from looking at your rig, that your neighbors know you are a guitar player...
            They *might*...

I don't play really loud very much though. I'm trying to preserve what's left of my 40+ year old ears. The rig sounds fantastic though, and doesn't give up much loud or soft.

Comment

Better pics...

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                Thanks, and yeah...not the top-of-the-line trem, but I really don't use the trem much at all anyway, so it'll do.

They *might*...

I don't play really loud very much though. I'm trying to preserve what's left of my 40+ year old ears. The rig sounds fantastic though, and doesn't give up much loud or soft.
                If you play a lot you'll see within a year (give or take) that it really won't do. Which is a real pisser because I'm a huge ibby fan and I've had to deal with several of the EDGE III's. Fortunately, they stopped making that bridge I believe and the replacement is much better. At some point, if you really don't use the trem then blocking it is an option. I had to do that with a few, but really missed the trem. Anyways I'm not bashing the guitar, its great and I bet its a great player....Ibanez rule!

Comment

Originally posted by dvscool View Post
                  If you play a lot you'll see within a year (give or take) that it really won't do. Which is a real pisser because I'm a huge ibby fan and I've had to deal with several of the EDGE III's. Fortunately, they stopped making that bridge I believe and the replacement is much better. At some point, if you really don't use the trem then blocking it is an option. I had to do that with a few, but really missed the trem. Anyways I'm not bashing the guitar, its great and I bet its a great player....Ibanez rule!
                  I like this one more and more each day. It's my main player. The Full Shred really shines - love the mids!

The trem...yeah, it's craptacular, but I don't use it - don't even have the arm in it - so I can't imagine wear will be much of an issue. Once it shits the bed, I'll put a Z trem in it anyway. I can't say enough good things about those! Stable as hell!

I picked up some Collett knobs the other day, and put one on here. The feel is 100% better than the stock some knobs. I'd have these on everything given the chance. I should probably buy a few more.

I raised the action on it just a little bit, so I'm about 2.3mm on the bass side, and about 1.9mm on the treble side, and it's about right. Board is pretty flat, and I'm only getting very minimal buzz on the first few frets on the bass side, which for a down tuned, heavy strung guitar, is pretty much inevitable.

Looking for one last guitar now. I was hoping for a Blade Gray Ibanez K7 7-string, but I don't know that I'll find one any time soon, especially in decent condition. My second choice right now is an RGD2127Z, but they sure seem to hold their value pretty well. We'll see... In the meantime, just loving this one!

Comment

I love me some 7 string Ibby's. I've never owned a 7 string. A 7 string is on my hit list for sure. Yeah, if your not using the trem I have to think its going to last longer. In fact, I would would block it. You may squeeze some more tone out of it as well doing that. I really like the white.....looks pretty sick...
                    Last edited by dvscool; 07-04-2013, 09:16 AM.

Comment

As far as "stock" 7-strings go, I've never played one I liked more than Ibanez. They just feel "right".

I compared e trem cavities on my 2120z and the 320 - I don't think I'd be able to put in a Z trem without major mods, so I'll just grab a real Edge when I see one.

Comment

Working...
                      X