GMW vs. Carvin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMW vs. Carvin

I'm thinking about a custom. Which do you prefer between these two and why?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

I've not played a Carvin, but I have a few GMWs and they're great (I have a ton of custom Jacksons, but my favourite guitar is a GMW). I know some people hate the 'new' headstocks, but they look a lot better in person than they do in pictures. Carvin seem like great bang for the buck, but I'm not a big fan of their styling.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I've owned both, and I'd have to agree with neilli. Lee is very good to deal with, always took good care of me. Quality for both is excellent, maybe a slight edge for GMW. Styling-wise, though, I'd go with GMW by far. Although I'm not a fan of the new GMW headstocks, I'd prefer either of theirs to the Carvin I6 style head. If I were looking for a single cut or PRS style axe, though, I'd go Carvin. That's probably the only exception, and I'd otherwise go with GMW all the way.

Comment

Don't forget GMP...

Comment

I can't complain about the carvin I got from their damaged stock on ebay or the custom order I still have(except for maybe their pickups). great built quality. Never played a gmw but I would say the quality is higher. I would say it depends on how much you are willing to spend and how long you are will to wait.

Comment

Carvin's don't have a neck angle. Some people notice and don't like it. All the NAMM Carvins have great action and feel really good. With a Carvin you are limited to their shapes and options.

With a GMW *almost* anything goes in terms of shape and finish. You can spec your neck profile and other details that you might not be able to on a Carvin.

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy View Post
              Carvin's don't have a neck angle. Some people notice and don't like it. All the NAMM Carvins have great action and feel really good. With a Carvin you are limited to their shapes and options.

With a GMW *almost* anything goes in terms of shape and finish. You can spec your neck profile and other details that you might not be able to on a Carvin.
              Actually, you can spec your neck profile on a Carvin. I think it falls under the "Option 50" where you pay a little bit extra. There have even been customers that have supplied their own wood for the necks. There's a lot of stuff not listed on their site or in catalogs that they can and will do.

I've never played a GMW, but I've enjoyed every Carvin I've owned... an SC90, DC400, DC120 12-string, DC727. I still have the SC90 and the DC727.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

GMW...there is just something a bit odd with the overall look of the Carvin body shapes that is unappealing to me.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Good catch Toejam. I've heard of people ordering "secret" options but didn't know if you had to catch someone on the right day to do it.

I really wish Carvin would do neck binding

Comment

Maybe if they're busier at certain times of the year, they might not do certain requests, but with credit card in hand, they'll do quite a bit of different options. I also think neck binding would be a nice touch.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X