Need a custom neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a custom neck

Warmoth is out of the question, considering they won't do 2 very important parts of my build.

Basically, I need a bolt on 22 fretter, with stainless 6100s, 10-16" ebony board with reverse sharkies, standard pointy headstock, neck and head binding, and a Jackson Standard neck profile (thin D)

Warmoth will do everything but the headstock binding and the reverse sharkies. Considering the coin, and the fact it's custom, I will NOT settle.

Anybody know of anyone who can/will build me a neck with the features mentioned? I've exhausted my googling.
    Last edited by Axegrinder87; 11-28-2012, 10:44 AM.
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

You may have a problem getting someone to do the headstock. I believe Warmoth must pay licensing fee to do the various Fender and Jackson headstocks. Anyone that would build with the Fender or Jackson headstocks could face big problems.

Comment

Warmoth Jackson headstocks are off anyway. And they have a volute. But they do at least use a slab of rosewood or ebony like a Jackson. 22 frets? You're best bet is getting a used left handed Charvel neck, if you can find a toothpaste one with sharkies.
      Last edited by ginsambo; 11-28-2012, 12:58 PM.
      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

So after dropping over $500 on a Warmoth, I'll need to spend $X more to get somebody to do the inlays and headstock binding?

There has to be another way. If I could settle for standard sharkies, I'd just find a 22 fret DK1 neck.
        "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Ulijdavid is correct about the headstock being an issue. How about having a current Jackson neck re-boarded with the inlays that you like? I may have a referral for you on that sort of thing.
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

will Musikraft or USCG build that?
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
              Ulijdavid is correct about the headstock being an issue. How about having a current Jackson neck re-boarded with the inlays that you like? I may have a referral for you on that sort of thing.
              I had considered that Sully. What's the ballpark on something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                will Musikraft or USCG build that?
                Nah, I don't think they do those.

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                I had considered that Sully. What's the ballpark on something like that?
                It's not something I'd have time for, but I've reached out to the person who may be able to do the sharks for you, and perhaps you can source the labor locally.

Taking the binding off (in hopes of using on the new one), pulling the board, and trim the new board to match the size of the old one would take a couple of hours,, but keep in mind that you'll also have to factor in the cost to have it fretted and whatnot. Kinda seems not super cost effective unless you can DIY it.

Sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Taking a quote from Jurassic Park, is this a "Spare no expense" job?

I'm guessing if you are prepared to drop enough coin, it should be do-able.

Comment

Well, I want a custom axe. It's a very certain axe. I'd like Jackson to make it, but I can't, no matter how hard I try, justify dropping all that coin for them to sit on for 2 years.

My ONLY problem with bolt ons, isn't really even a problem. More of a preference. I PREFER the heel on neck throughs, though I tend to favor the tone of my bolt ons. So with a little elbow grease, I don't see an issue with reshaping the Strat heel and building a bolt on Rhoads instead.

KnE has the body for a very reasonable price. Paint isn't an issue for me at all. My problem is the neck, as mentioned previously.

I'm leaning on just finding a neck that I like, doing as much of the work as I can, which would most likely be just pulling the fretboard, and then having my local luthier "build" the neck up for me.

Anybody know of a bolt on Jackson/Charvel pointy with a thin D shape? I've only seen/played Cs. I'd like to get as close to my RR5FR as possible.

Comment

Contact Performance Guitar in Hollywood. They are not easy to understand and not cheap at all but they make awesome stuff and will build a Jackson neck (hs) but it will have a volute.

Comment

you can try Moser but i don't know if he does that headstock anymore, he used to.

Comment

Working...
                        X