Looking for Recommendations for a 7 String

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Recommendations for a 7 String

So I have a few different guitars in the stable. Mostly Super Strat's and while I have some extra cash and lots of GAS, I thought I would pick up a seven string, just for something different.
    My favorite players are my USA Soloist, US Pro-Mod, Kramer Barretta and a Paduak Custom Build (as I said, Super Strats). All are tuned to E-flat and D. I was hoping to get some general recommendations and perhaps some product/model recommendations for the 7 string.

My budget is about $600 - 800 I am considering the following - Ibanez, Agile, Schecter and of course Jackson.
    Pro/Cons:
    Ibanez - A tonne available on Craigslist locally so the price is right. Perhaps I can pick up a Prestige within budget. I have played them and the necks are OK, but not Jackson. The scale length on the Ibanez are typically 25.5. Some of their new models are 26.5 which I think I would prefer. I believe the 26.5 would allow for more drop tunings. Most of the models are made of basswood with maple necks, rosewood boards. IMO the Ibanez PU's suck ass and would require trading out. The Edge Trem is probably better that the Floyd Special.
    Agile - Price is right and I have heard good things about the value for money and build quality. Scale lengths vary 25.5 or 27. 27 may be too long and feel weird when I am so used to 25.5. Web site has good choices and options but shipping to Canada is $165 on top of the build price, which puts me in the top of my budget and I have to reassess the value. Also, I have no way to try one out first.
    Schector - good woods, Mahogany Body and Neck, Ebony boards, real floyd with good PU's. I do not like their designs though - very spinal tap, over the top metal (it blacker than black and go to 11).
    Jackson - X Series is within Budget but hard to find so I have been unable to try one out. How is the quality, tone, etc. Any one have one? Wish they had Ebony boards and Real Floyds. I also do prefer unfinished necks, so I do not like the heavy painted back of the necks on the Soloist.

I would be thankful for any advice or wisdom from anyone knowledgeable in this arena.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Radiohead; 10-14-2012, 10:39 PM.

Anything but Schecters. I had 2 of them and sold them. Could not stand the fat painted necks!

Ibanez RG7321, you cannot go wrong with! Cheap, plays great, great action, yada, yada. If you don't like it, you lose not more than $200 - $300. yes, its only 25.5" but try the shorter scale before you go the longer scale route. Especially since this will be your first 7-string.
    Sam

Comment

Schecter's 7 strings are a longer scale length which will allow for more down tuning and better string tone. I like Schecters necks. Not every body does but they are well built and a great bang for the buck.
      Gil

Comment

Read my review on the 7-String BC Rich Stealth:

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/134...e-in-Korea-NGD

Any MIK World Guitar with similar features should be of similar quality. Best bang for the proverbial buck, so to speak. ToeJam's LTD, pending review would be a similar build quality for around that price.
        http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/134...guitar-ordered

EDIT: BTW, I absolutely love my Stealth. It has a Jackson US/CS feel to it. I paid $670 shipped. Normal street price is $899. They still have one left:
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/BC-Rich-Marc...&forceRpt=true
        Last edited by xenophobe; 10-15-2012, 01:28 AM.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I'd go with the Ibanez and drop in pups that may better suit your sound because as much as I've liked a few of their guitars over the years most had pups in them that under-whelmed the hell out of me......and since you have hands-on experience with one and seem otherwise happy with it, why not go for it?

Comment

I had a Schecter 007 Elite (the H/S version) years ago, and it was 25.5" scale and very nice, the neck was a little thicker but not bad. I also had an Ibanez RG7620 which was nice, but a thinner neck. My Carvin's neck falls somewhere in between the two.
            And I just did get the LTD Alex Wade signature model on Saturday which is really cool, too. The neck is similar to the Carvin, maybe a tad thicker. I'll have to take pics and get a review of that within the next day or so.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I built my own, but I am fond of the RR 7, can't find them anymore. The BC Rich Stealth would be my next suggestion.
              According To The Prophecy

Comment

Check out the PRS SE Custom 24-7. I love their imports and I might snag one myself.

Comment

The best I have EVER laid hands upon - Ibanez K7's

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                    The best I have EVER laid hands upon - Ibanez K7's
                    I've always thought they looked cool and wanted to try one.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      I've always thought they looked cool and wanted to try one.
                      Got a second Apex Custom yesterday!

Comment

Sweet! How do the Apex models compare to a K7?

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          Sweet! How do the Apex models compare to a K7?
                          Very similar. Same spec. The neck felt just a tad more rounded, but still just as nice as the original K7, which I had two of as well. Wish I had those back...

Great sounding and playing guitars.

Comment

Cool. Thanks, Chris! I may have to keep an eye out for one of those eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                              Got a second Apex Custom yesterday!
                              Those are sweet. I've even been on the lookout for one that strikes my fancy.
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X