Ibanez Rework and Refinish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez Rework and Refinish

Here we have an Ibanez RG550 that a customer wanted to transform into a JEM. It would not be able to be re-sold as a fake due to the fact that it has a front and rear route for the electronics.
    Anyway, here are the before:
    CP-JEM-003.jpgCP-JEM-005.jpgCP-JEM-031.jpg

And the after:

CP-JEM-042.jpgCP-JEM-048.JPGCP-JEM-058.jpgCP-JEM-138.JPGCP-JEM-142.jpg

I can't figure out how to properly photograph the guitar. The pink is actually SOOOO neon pink you actually get a headache after 5 minutes of looking at it. I am waiting on the tuners and then it should be ready.

I can't give Mike Learn enough props for his help and precautions in painting the neon colors. What a pain in the ass - especially with painting inside of the monkey grip. Thanks a million Mike!

Cool. I have an RG550 too. Great sounding guitar.

Comment

Nice job.
      I didn't know those necks had that overhang! Looks like it fits snug against the body though when bolted down?

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
        Nice job.
        I didn't know those necks had that overhang! Looks like it fits snug against the body though when bolted down?
        Yeah...Ibanez does some nice work. The fretboard seats in the pocket and right on the recess.

Comment

Not my style, but outstanding work!

Comment

Since it has a battery box, he should have thrown in a sustainer!
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              Since it has a battery box, he should have thrown in a sustainer!
              Not a battery box. Ibanez has that extra pocket for the input jack. This one uses that long stereo/mono jack.

Comment

Ah, okay. I just took a quick glance and figured thats what the extra cavity was for. I don't have much knowledge when it comes to JEMs and RG series Ibbys.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

So you converted an RG560 body into an RG550?
                  Nice.
                  Where did you get the inlays?
                  -Rick

Comment

I love it man...great work....Older RG's are the SHIT!!...all my main players are old RG's...
                    -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                      Where did you get the inlays?
                      Actually my customer sent me sticker inlays from ebay. He asked if I would stick them on the correct locations. I would not put "stickers" on a fretboard that is associated with my work. I was looking for materials to inlay them in the traditional way, but could not find anything with the correct colors. After some digging, I have found places on the internet that stated the originals are printed pyramids that are glued in under thin clear plastic inlays. So, that's what I did. I used his stickers as templates and cut the pockets in the fretboard, then inlayed the clear palstic over the stickers. It came out really nice. The only problem was some of the inlays still had remnants of the dots and I should have layed a thin piece under the sticker to hide the dots. Close up there are a couple of inlays where you can see ashadow of the dot.

Comment

"Actually my customer sent me sticker inlays from ebay. He asked if I would stick them on the correct locations. I would not put "stickers" on a fretboard that is associated with my work."

YOUR the guy I want working on my guitars.
                        -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Amazing work right there, well done.
                          Jackson KV2
                          Jackson KE1T
                          Jackson KE1F
                          Jackson SL1

Comment

Beautiful job on that Ibenez. A lot of tedious details!!!! It looks like you got through it just fine.
                            Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                            http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Sweet refin John It looks great.

MOSHON
                              DAVE
                              "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Working...
                              X