Les Paul or PRS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul or PRS

I have the following up on the MyLesPaul forum, but I figured I'd post here to get an objective view.

I've been pretty curious about PRS guitars for a long time. I've never actually picked up a USA PRS, but fiddled with some SE's. So I was on CL and saw a 2002 PRS Standard 22 with birds, Dragon 2's and trem in mint condition w/case and hang tags. I contacted the guy and asked him if he would be willing to trade for a LP Trad Pro Vintage Burst.

He said yes so I'm gonna check it out over the weekend. I actually have 3 Trad Pro's, so trading one isn't a big deal, plus the VB is the heaviest of the bunch. What I'd like to know is if the guitars are comparable in value.

So....

or

Sorry, don't have a clue on the PRS value.

I'd say yours is worth $1500 on the used market.

Comment

I hate heavy guitars plus there is no shortage of traditional pros.

Comment

I would check it out PRS's are pretty nice I have had a few.Only one was a dog.
        Like you said you have more than one L.P. so why not?
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

a les paul can only sound like a les paul but a prs can sound like a les paul and more......
          yeah it was me, you got a problem with that?

Comment

if he said yes, then go for it. the PRS is a nice guitar. you have other LPs, so go for it. PRS has a pretty solid resale so you won't take a beating if you decide it's not for you.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
              if he said yes, then go for it. the PRS is a nice guitar. you have other LPs, so go for it. PRS has a pretty solid resale so you won't take a beating if you decide it's not for you.
              Like that would ever happen

Sorry Pete, I couldn't resist

Comment

Id say do it. You can play anything with a PRS, and they are some of the smoothest playing guitars ever made, IMO.
                I want a guitar made of ALL abalone. That would be badass. All shellfish should die for my shreddage delight.

Guitar Guy 22345762.9 is Jarek...like from Subway.

Comment

I love my prs but hat the dial pickup selector. That stated id take a PRS over an LP any day.
                  Haters gonna hate
                  Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by coloradoman25 View Post
                    I love my prs but hat the dial pickup selector. That stated id take a PRS over an LP any day.
                    easy swap, just get one with the mccarty switching... Unfortunately, that negates the coil tapping.

Like markD said- they have good resale so you wont really take a hit if you want to sell.
                    Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Get the PRS. LPs blow horse cock.
                      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

PRS made it's name making single cut guitars that had consistent quality on the higher end of the spectrum where Gibson was always all over the map.

I'd honestly rather have an LP, but you have to sit there and hand pick them... that's both time consuming and limiting to what you can get on the local market. PRS you can look at pictures of and decide which one is prettiest to you, buy it and get a good player.
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by clifffclaven View Post
                          easy swap, just get one with the mccarty switching... Unfortunately, that negates the coil tapping.

Like markD said- they have good resale so you wont really take a hit if you want to sell.
                          So that means the the Standard 22 and the Trad Pro are in the same ballpark in terms of used value? Like I said, I want birds, trem and 22 frets and everywhere I look it's usually 2 out of 3 or else it is int the $1800+ range.

Comment

birds, trem AND 22 frets puts you in a the custom 22 or mccarty range - priced quite a bit higher than a standard 22. certain PRS options are only available on certain models. you COULD find a standard 22 with birds and a trem, but you will be looking at a more vintage model - possibly pre-1995, which costs more money in the PRS world. if you want those options, just sell your LP and go ebay shopping. PRS are VERY consistant guitars. you could try one out at your GC to make sure you like the way they play, then buy one on ebay that has the options you like. there won't be any surprises in playability. i have had several of them, all of different vintages, and they have all pretty much played the same.
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                              birds, trem AND 22 frets puts you in a the custom 22 or mccarty range - priced quite a bit higher than a standard 22. certain PRS options are only available on certain models. you COULD find a standard 22 with birds and a trem, but you will be looking at a more vintage model - possibly pre-1995, which costs more money in the PRS world. if you want those options, just sell your LP and go ebay shopping. PRS are VERY consistant guitars. you could try one out at your GC to make sure you like the way they play, then buy one on ebay that has the options you like. there won't be any surprises in playability. i have had several of them, all of different vintages, and they have all pretty much played the same.
                              So, I have a guy who want to trade his near mint 22 Standard w/birds and trem for my trad pro. Is this a fair trade? The PRS is solid mahogany, which is fine with me. I have my share of fancy tops, so this doesn't need to be. Also, I don't like the pickups being so close together on a 24 fretter.

Comment

Working...
                              X