Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom shop Charvel - thats not a charvel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom shop Charvel - thats not a charvel!

I recently bought a guitar I found in a store in the UK.

The guitar was made about 9 years ago by a small custom builder called Stormshadow guitars.
    It had a really great slim flame maple neck with a 1"/5/8 nut, sculpted Ibanez type heel, chrome original Floyd but was basically butchered and in need of some TLC!

I usually like big frets but this has 6105 thinner but taller frets, I really liked the feel!
    Someone had carved a huge chunk out the back and fitted a Sustainer pickup along with an additional switch on the front. The Sustainer wasn't working to well and had exposed electronics hanging out the back. I also thought it looked crap and limited your neck pickup sound!
    The paint job was white but very damaged in a non to pleasing relic way so I had it fully filled and re sprayed in a great Candy Red including the headstock.
    The pickup choice was an interesting one - I already own guitars with Dimarzio Evo's in which I like and also a number of guitars with Bareknuckles and Duncan's in. I just happened to see a set of the new Dimarzio Gravity Storm pickups for sale and thought - why not!
    I also refurbished the Floyd and changed the skinny block for a copper big block.

Anyway the outcome can be seen in the pictures but in terms of whether or not I'm pleased... wow!
    The Gravity Storm pickups sound so good in this guitar and the neck has an awesome single coil type tone, in fact its the best neck pickup I have ever tried!

I just love the whole guitar now in terms of looks and playabilty and the big copper block makes a hell of a difference to the good.

Last edited by Guinny; 10-06-2012, 01:32 PM.

The 12th fret dot spacing makes it look like a Fender from the front to me, but grats! The logo on the guitar isn't what makes the guitar, it's the luthier that builds it!
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I think the necks are made in the US somewhere and Stormshadow guitars just assemble them.
      It has a 12" Radius and feels quite skinny like an Ibanez.

Comment

Working...
      X