Fender EVH Wolfgang / Japan vs China shoot out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender EVH Wolfgang / Japan vs China shoot out

Hey all, I was at GC today at lunch and found that they had the new Chinese EVH Wolfgang's. They also had a couple of the Japanese wolfie's one new one used. I only had about 30 minutes but to make a long story short the Japanese guitars were much nicer and seemed to be made of better more resonant wood. The necks were very close in feel but the Japanese felt a tad thinner and had a better finish. The Chinese guitars were much heavier and sounded thud thud when doing a tap tap to the body wood. The new Chinese guitars were priced the same as the new Japanese ones. Over all the Japanese guitars were much nicer although the fret ends were a bit sharper. If the new Charvel Pro Mods come form the same facility, Charvel production guitars are done as far as I'm concerned

I thought the new Wolfgangs were being made in Mexico. This is the first I have heard about China. I have been considering a used MIJ one, sounds like that's the way to go.

Comment

After sanding the board on my Charvel DX-1, I'd rather have that than a pro-mod. The neck has a better profile and the fret ends are done much nicer, and the action is super low. The workmanship on a pro-mod is much nicer than the DX-1 though. I'd also rather own a MIJ Fender Strat than a pro-mod.

Charvel MIJ production is done. The Japanese plant is shut down for good. There is no way that Fender will make sub $1000 Charvel Pro-Mods comparable in quality to $1600-ish MIJ Strats in the same factory. It just won't happen. Standards are higher for Japanese market guitars than American market guitars made in Japan. It's obvious when inspecting them. ESP is especially good/bad at this. US Market ESP Customs are made in different factories than Japanese Market ESP Customs. All you need to do is compare how much information you need to provide ESP for a custom order. US-market customs are dumbed down considerably.

My white MIJ Stratocaster outshines most USA guitars I've played. I've gone through 60-70ish MIJ/MIA/CS Charvels and Jacksons, my black Strathead is the 3rd best playing guitar I've ever played. My white Fender Strat is nearly the equal of it. Charvel pro-mods are definitely a step down from non-US market MIJ Fenders.

Fender USA will revoke any Japanese dealer that sells new MIJ Fenders to America. You can only buy used guitars.

I have no idea about these EVN Wolfgang guitars, but I'm sure a good percentage of the price is royalty paid to EVH.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Are the MIJ fenders still made by Tokai?

I think it's sad that these EVH guitars are still the same price as before, just shows you how money hungry fender or EVH is. OR how little they paid the J/C factory in Japan for the old ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
          I think it's sad that these EVH guitars are still the same price as before, just shows you how money hungry fender or EVH is. OR how little they paid the J/C factory in Japan for the old ones.
          Yeah, well if you looked at their financials, they need to do everything they can to be profitable. Every penny really counts here...
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
            . The new Chinese guitars were priced the same as the new Japanese ones
            So much for seeing the cheap labour back in the price
            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
              So much for seeing the cheap labour back in the price
              Chinese labor is getting more expensive. It used to be that they were rock bottom but workers have been driving wages much higher over the last few years. In fact it's tipping back to being cost effective to manufacture in the states again because of it.
              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                Are the MIJ fenders still made by Tokai?
                fender has had their own japanese factory since the 80's.
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I didn't think so
                  http://www.stratconnection.com/historyoffenderjapan.htm

Comment

Originally posted by ~K~ View Post
                    Chinese labor is getting more expensive. It used to be that they were rock bottom but workers have been driving wages much higher over the last few years. In fact it's tipping back to being cost effective to manufacture in the states again because of it.
                    I agree. Because of the direction Fender has taken Jackson/Charvel, I will buy Carvin guitars most likely from now on.

Comment

Working...
                    X