MIJ Fender Public Service Annoucement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIJ Fender Public Service Annoucement

No pictures yet... I just got my second one, my Brad Gillis wannabe. I have to say, I was impressed by my first MIJ Fender, this one is every bit as nice, perhaps even nicer, and I'm really digging the painted necks of the premier MIJ Strats.

The MIJ Fenders have this high quality feel... they just have that individual character with that handbuilt feel that's lacking on many newer guitars. I'm not talking about E series Squires. I'm talking about much nicer guitars. I guess with a MSRP starting at about $650 USD and going as high as $1800+ USD with most Floyd models starting at the $1400 mark, they're not cheap by any means, but they sure the hell beat the shit out of all the other imports. And right now they're cheaper than most pro-mods on ebay when you can find them used. Especially look for the ones with Gotoh trems. If the paint weren't flawless on these, if the necks didn't have a technical precision and some deviation that feels broken in and hand shaped... they'd still be amazing guitars. They really have this old school vibe, for a new guitar... like the old USA Charvels and Jacksons did way back when...

I've played many dozens of MIJ Squires, plenty of USA and custom models too. These MIJ strats they're putting out now are just awesome. These newer MIJ Fenders are really a step above most US models and when they come with higher quality components, like the better Gotoh Floyd, upgraded Gotoh tuners (not the generic ones with the embossed logo in the metal, but the nicer ones), they just feel like custom shop guitars overall. The fretwork is top notch, the wood selection appears to be very high grade as well. Imports usually feel ticky tacky, and as another member here put it, kind of plastic or mass produced. These MIJ Fenders feel like true custom shop guitars and withstand that kind of scrutiny.

I'm an admitted custom shop snob. All I'm saying, if you haven't tried one, especially one of the newer all-Gotoh equipped guitars, throw down some money on one or if it's in a store near you, look out for them and give one a try, it's seriously hands-down the best value for the dollar of any guitar I can think of right now.

Fender USA or Jackson USA can't really compete with these either. You'll need to go full blown Custom Shop to surpass them.
    Last edited by xenophobe; 09-17-2012, 11:41 PM.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Is it one of these?

http://www.musicland.co.jp/campaign/...paign&cid=3856
    Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

No, the guitar I received was much closer to this one, possibly a few years older though.
      http://store.ishibashi.co.jp/ec/pro/disp/1/312020900

This is a 2012, the one I received was 2007-2010 from the serial number, but the owner stated that it was 2009. The e-config is different, so I may have a different model or an earlier version, but the price for the premium strat with painted neck and a Floyd is 126,000 yen, or 100,800 yen on sale as it is now. That's $1290.32 USD before shipping.

It's actually a really confusing guitar. It is possible that the guitar is a factory Brad Gillis Special Order, but it differs from the previous Fender Japan limited run of 10 or 12 BG guitars in 2008. It could be a custom shop Fernades body, but it has nothing in common with the original Fernandes guitars, those had no Floyd routes, different Fernades gain boost logo and the jack placement was slightly different... and the input jack location on mine is spot on with Brad's '62 strat and is painted inside. There was some mickey mouse bullshit going on under the cover, and the frets really do need a level, but overall considering what components shipped with it, I made out pretty well. The Gotoh Floyd is $190 new, the pickups are probably worth another good $225 or so. It came with a beautiful Fernandes G&G type case... that's another $100. It also has an EMG PA-2 gain boost $40+ and comes with the Fernandes plated gain boost which I can't find a price on. Oh, and the upgraded Gotoh SG381 tuners $45... So I basically got the neck and body for less than $150 if I decided to part it out and sell it, which I'm not planning on.

It doesn't have the right logo and it has a partial Floyd route for pullups... so I'm on the fence about converting it back to stock, or converting it to more closely match.

This is the one I bought:
      http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/133...lis-type-Strat

This is my white MIJ... it's freaking awesome:
      http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/133...r-Stratocaster
      Last edited by xenophobe; 09-20-2012, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Yep, those are really nice guitars. Great feel. Extremely high quality.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
          Yep, those are really nice guitars. Great feel. Extremely high quality.
          Yeah, I figure them to be somewhere between USA American Standard and Select/Elite series. They definitely rival Charvel USA. The fretwork is amazing, the necks feel great, the paint is immaculate on the bodies and you're really hard pressed to find any flaws at all, but they still retain a little of that hand worked feeling and aren't sterile.

The wood selection would have to be pretty amazing. They sound great, especially acoustically.

The white one is pretty much on par with my strathead Jackson, and that's like the 3rd best Jackson I've played out of many dozens of USAs and Customs.

Comment

Working...
          X