Ibanez SR1200 bass thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez SR1200 bass thoughts?

I am taking up the bass. I have always been a closet bass player. I want to master that kick ass funk slap pop style ala Flea and my favorite TM STEVENS!!! I have played bass in bands several times in a pinch live but I play bass like a guitar player. I want to learn to play bass with my thumb and fingers like a real bass player.
    Anyway, I want to start off right and I have an opportunity to score an Ibanez SR1200. It has active electronics and EQ, its a natural finish and its a neck thru body. The guy who is selling it told me it was pretty expensive back in the day and was considered a high end pro model.
    Any thoughts?

i don't know that specific model, but i enjoy the SR basses. my bassist has 2 - a 4 and a 5 string. his a neck-through and he LOVES them - has been using them ever since they came out. he upgrades every couple of years when he sees a model with specs he likes. i say go for it! they are very easy to play!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

The bass doesn't matter as long as you are playing through a 400W tube head and 8x10 cabs.

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]
        [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
          The bass doesn't matter as long as you are playing through a 400W tube head and 8x10 cabs.

I am going to slum it and go SS. I won't need a live bass rig for a while. When I do get one I am probably going to go with Hartke. I like their stuff.

Comment

Keep a fresh set on John. That bass sounds pretty good through anything really.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              I am going to slum it and go SS. I won't need a live bass rig for a while. When I do get one I am probably going to go with Hartke. I like their stuff.
              John NO! over=priced farting, crap at band levels!! Go Carvin man! I prefer SS w/ bass.

I bought two new Hartke XL cabs back in the day. Biamped with a GK 800RB. The head was good...that was good head. Cabs were lame.

Ampeg 8X10..yeeesh. Even worse Peavey 3620s..2-18"'s/2-10" in ea...fuck you!!
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Looks nice. Crazy that it still has the showroom plastic thing for the controls hehe.

Get a Verellen Meatsmoke rack/pedal and run that through a SS power amp. http://www.verellenamplifiers.com/products.html

As a bonus it makes a nice guitar boost/od pedal too.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  John NO! over=priced farting, crap at band levels!! Go Carvin man! I prefer SS w/ bass.

I bought two new Hartke XL cabs back in the day. Biamped with a GK 800RB. The head was good...that was good head. Cabs were lame.

Ampeg 8X10..yeeesh. Even worse Peavey 3620s..2-18"'s/2-10" in ea...fuck you!!
                  Thanks Bill, I forgot about Carvin. Thats probably what I will go with. I played for about 2 hours last night and I am definately a natural on bass. I think I am going to start off mastering the Steve Harris style and move on to Flea and then on to my favorite TM Stevens.

Comment

mastering the steve harris style won't be as easy, nor will be all that helpful in transitioning to the flea and tm stevens style. they are not related in ANY way, other than they are playing bass. if you want to slap and pop using your thumb, then dedicate yourself to learning that. if you want to play fast, alternating finger style, like harris, then dedicate yourself to that. the difference would be similar to a newb guitarist saying he wants to play like jimmy page and randy rhoads. the difference is too radical.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                      mastering the steve harris style won't be as easy, nor will be all that helpful in transitioning to the flea and tm stevens style. they are not related in ANY way, other than they are playing bass. if you want to slap and pop using your thumb, then dedicate yourself to learning that. if you want to play fast, alternating finger style, like harris, then dedicate yourself to that. the difference would be similar to a newb guitarist saying he wants to play like jimmy page and randy rhoads. the difference is too radical.

I hear you Mark and that would apply to a mortal but I am a prodigy!! (in my own mind)
                      Thanks for the advice.

Comment

hahahaha! that's cool!

regarding bass rigs...i have always enjoyed SWR, eden and trace elliot. lately though, i recognized that i like to put a bit of growl back in my sound, so i want to go back to an all tube bass amp. hybrid stuff is nice, but just doesn't have the grunt. i would love an ampeg, but they just cost way too much. i think i am gonna go back to using a fender bassman 100 like i did when i first started playing bass. that through 2x10's and a 15 was great!! though it was more of an "meat-n-potatoes" type bass sound.

there is a local guy that gigs with carvin stuff and sounds KILLER!!!!

my bassist uses GK and, honestly, he sounds like ass. he uses one of their newer amps through a 4x10 and an 18. it is just too much. he tries to have a ton of high-end and a ton of low-end. it has always been hard to deal with!!
                        GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Now I am looking for one of those inexpensive bass headphone amps so I can sit on the couch and practice for hours and hours while the family is watching TV. I looked at that Vox ampplug thing, the Pocket Rockit thing, I think Zoom and Boss make things too. There is also the Sholtz Bass Rockman.
                          I want something portable that takes batteries and headphones.
                          Regarding live amplification, once I am good enough to play live ( I am figuring on having this 4 string monster licked by spring) I will figure out what to do. At this point, I need a ton of practice. My thumb is raw, swollen and was actually bleeding a little. Fun as heck though. I love the percussiveness of playing funk/slap bass.

Comment

http://www.korg.com/px5d
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

i use an old line 6 bass pod. i really like it.
                              GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Working...
                              X