Michael Schenker V - Upgraded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Schenker V - Upgraded?

I stripped the Epiphone off the truss rod cover and painted it. I painted the pickguard as well.

Cleaned the fretboard, gorgomyte'd the frets, cleaned again, then Dr. Bore oiled the fretboard.

I need to find an extra white Strat Volume knob. I've ordered knob pointers.

Finally, I need to make a small number 1 by the neck join.

The pickups are Epiphone, 8.2K neck and 12.6K bridge. I'm not a pickup snob, I use my ears. I have a pair of 1983 Gibson Tim Shaws I could have put in that would have been closer to what Schenker used in the UFO days, but by my ears the Epiphone pickups sound great (with the DSL100) and do a very good job nailing his tones. They are powerful, sort of bassy (neck can get muddy so I lowered it). The bridge cleans up very nicely when backing off the volume, for playing something like the intro to "Doctor Doctor".

It'll never be 100% with the headstock I have, but I'll try to get as close as possible to Michael's #1. Here's a link to a website documenting his guitars.

http://www.flying-v.ch/collect/michsch.html

Looks great Don! Awesome job, she looks fantastic!!!! If she plays even half as good, you're a lucky man.
    "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

I see what youre going for, but the two different whites just doesnt go together IMO. I think it would look killer if you were able to match the vintage white look!
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Looks awesome, but I agree kind of with Rob. The plastic is SUPER white compared to the finish which almost looks like it has a bit of sepia tinting to it. It still looks good though. I wouldn't want to try to play Cathedral with that control layout!
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
          I see what youre going for, but the two different whites just doesnt go together IMO. I think it would look killer if you were able to match the vintage white look!
          I agree with you. The white body paint is more of a traditional cream than Michael's "brite white".

I'll just have to live with it.

Comment

That turned out really well, nice job!

Comment

I wonder if you could soak the plastic in Tea or something to stain it a little more 'off white'.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                I wonder if you could soak the plastic in Tea or something to stain it a little more 'off white'.
                Brown shoe polish works well to stain it also.

Comment

Well, in 20 years It will probably be a perfect match anyways.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Or, maybe another option is to tint some clear to your liking and just cover the white with that to age it a bit.
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Looks cool, but I'd definitely try soaking the parts in coffee or tea, or the brown shoe polish trick, to get the bright white aged a little.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        Looks cool, but I'd definitely try soaking the parts in coffee or tea, or the brown shoe polish trick, to get the bright white aged a little.
                        Naw, everyone knows the best way to tint plastic parts is with old fashion cigarette smoke. So pick up a carton of Marlboro 100s on the way home from work and tell the Mrs. the JCF told you to!

Ok, ok, no one wants second hand smoke, so that use means chew spit. Are you a Skoal or Cope guy?

BTW, nice git!
                        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

LOL I remember reading years ago that one of the guitar players from Kix used to have a "smoke shed" behind his house and he would hang guitars in there with a bunch of lit cigarettes to age his guitars!
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

NICE Epi!
                            DiMarzio Endorsee
                            www.dimarzio.com
                            Morley Endorsee
                            www.morley.com
                            "Intelli-Shred" author
                            www.myspace.com/intellishred
                            NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

Tea or coffee doesn't work, atleast what I tried, for frickin' weeks. The only thing I have found that somewhat works is some old Kiwi brown paste shoe polish. I think we talked about this awhile back. Also, don't start with a pure white pickguard. Parchment worked for me. Cream was too tan colored. That still is a way cool guitar and a nice tribute to one of my favorite people.

Comment

Working...
                              X