My new (used) AL 2500...Now with pix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new (used) AL 2500...Now with pix

OK, I've been back from Australia for almost a week now and have had the chance to fiddle around with my new (used) AL2500.

It is one of the older ones with the correct horn and headstock that can't be bought anymore.

1. fit and finish:
    As usual, this Agile is top notch in terms of how everything is put together. You'd be hard pressed to find anything wrong with the woodworking on these (I have two other "old headstock" Agiles this is the forst one with the correct horn). Being used, there are a few nicks in some of the plastic pieces. Namely the poker chip has a ding in it, but that is easily replaced if I am so inclined. The finish on this one is just as durable as my other two, and to be honest the previous owner definitely took better care of this than I do mine. Single bound neck, body and headstock which is well done. I would have rather had the triple bound body and heastock and single bound neck that I have on my AL3000, but other that going custom shop, that ain't gonna happen much less getting the correct headstock and horn. The neck has the typical gloss back and the rosewood of the fretboard is very nice with a consistent grain pattern. I am very pleased.

2. Electronics:
    Some talk about the need to replace the threeway switch, but at this time, I do not see a need for that. It works as it should, and I just don't see why I should replace something that works fine. It came loaded with a Duncan SH-4 in the bridge and the stock ceramic in the neck. I bought this guitar with the intent of replacing the pups with GFS VEH pups, so both of those WILL be taken out and replaced. Not that there is anything wrong with what's in there because they both really sound good, just not what I want.

3. Playability:
    The action is ALMOST where I want it. I say almost because I like it really, REALLY low. As it is now and how I got it, it is just kinda low. But that will be remedied once I give up this guitar to the plek tech/luthier for a plekking/bone nut install/RSguitarworks vintage/modern wiring harness/pup swap. (This was in the plans before I made the purchase.) The only major flaw (that I knew to expect because it is true of my two previous Agiles), is the damn weight. It really has to be at least 10lbs. I will compensate with a 3.5 inch strap, so it shouldn't be too much of a factor.

Pix will be forthcoming once I find my camera.

I have to say, after buying this one, owning two other older models, and reading reviews on more recent purchases, Agile has certainly been one of the better companies out there since its inception. They really have put out a very high quality product from the beginning and from what I've read, that business plan has not changed at all. I am very happy with all three of my Agiles, and will more than likely look to them again if a need for a different guitar arises again.

Front: removed pickguard-

Back: not even belt buckle swirl, never mind rash!

Only blemish: nicked edge of poker chip-

Now to find one of their 1st generation SG copies to kill that GAS!
    Last edited by bombtek; 07-07-2012, 06:00 AM.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Nice. I want one. How do these compare to Original Les Pauls?

Comment

I'd say that these are on par or even better than with very well built Epiphone LP's. As good as many of the Gibson LP's I've tried, but then again, there were some, more than a few Gibsons that just plain felt magical. I've said it before, and I stand by it. If you have your heart absolutely set on a Les Paul and it has to be a Gibson, you really have to hunt for the right one, because they are out there. Problem is, you have to sort through the lemons and mediocre ones to get to them.

With Agiles, every LP style I've tried has been consitently GOOD. Won't take much work or money to make great. That statement is what the real difference between the two brands is IMO. Swap out the electronics (Gibson does use much better components), work with a luthier to make it yours, and you've turned a well made piece of gear into a finely crafted instrument for a relative bargain. Consider that you can buy a brand new AL2000 for $250, swap out the electronics, pups and such, have the setup done by a luthier to your specs, change out hardware (no need as far as I can see) and you're out what a total of $700-$800 on the high end?

Buy a Gibson with all the same appointments (bound body neck and headstock) and you get the Gibby name on the headstock, better electronics, pups, and hardware. Also, you will get a lighter guitar! On that front though I am OK with the weight of the Agiles, they are solid non chambered, non drilled pieces of wood whereas the Gibson WILL be at the very least swiss cheesed or chambered. I would rather the solid piece myself. With the Gibson with the same appointments as an AL2000 (bottom of the Agile line), you would have to go with a LP Standard. Out of the box, you will be out $2500 (Musicians Friend), and have no idea what the quality of the guitar will be.

I have ordered 2 AL's (a 2000 and a 3000) from Rondomusic, bought one AL2500 used (the one in this thread), and have read countless other reviews on Agile AL's from various boards on the net, and the general concensus seems to be from everyone (definitely from me!) that these Agiles are the real deal. Excellent quality LP style guitars to be had for a song compared to the real thing.

Would I like to have an actual Gibby Standard or even better a Custom? Of course I would. But, I'd rather NOT have to go through the hassle of finding the LP that suits me and feels/plays right nor pay the hefty price that comes with it when I am getting these Agiles for so cheap and I'm really REALLY happy with how they feel and play. Hope that answers your question. Its all my opinion though, so take it with a grain of salt.
      I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Welcome home, Bill. Love the amber/vintage yellow color on that one!
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Welcome home, Bill. Love the amber/vintage yellow color on that one!
          Thanks Joe. Yeah if it was any other color, I would've passed on it. Looking to AFD this one.

Comment

Nice!
            I plan on doing the "Lemondrop" treatment on my own project LP at some point.
            I've not played an Agile myself but the owners are very happy with them.

Congrats.

Comment

Nice.

Reminds me a lot of my Epiphone LP Standard.

Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
              X