Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aside from Gibby, Epi andAgile what do you think the best LP style guitar is there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aside from Gibby, Epi andAgile what do you think the best LP style guitar is there?

Agile, I have two of them, and LOVE them, but they're fukkin HEAVY.

I have a new Charvel DC-2, and its a great playing fiddle, but it is just too small bodywise to really classify it as a LP type of guitar. I think of it more as styled after a PRS single cut.

I'm not talking about used guitars either, I'm talking new from a factory.

So which do you all think is the most LP like non actual LP out there?

I'd love to own an actual Gibson LP, but to be honest, I just plain cannot justify the kinda money that they demand.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Well actually the PRS single cut is slightly bigger than a les Paul. But try to find an old ibanez les Paul copy. The greco lp copies are pretty cool. Also the tokai love rocks are spectacular.
    Gil

Comment

I just got a PRS SE Tremonti and love it. I hated the SE series when it first came out but that guitar just sings and you can find em cheap if you look around enough. If you can find an Edwards or a Tokai love rocket they are great too.
      It's pronounced soops

Comment

Dillion has great LP style gits. I have a Dillion. Its hard to believe it was only $400

Comment

Some actual Gibson LP's aren't that expensive. Studio's can start at 800.
          Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
            Some actual Gibson LP's aren't that expensive. Studio's can start at 800.
            I've played a few studios and to be honest, my Agile AL2000 (bottom of the Agile line selling new for $225) plays just as nice from the factory (ie; not pro setup) as any of the studios that I got to play. Those that I did play were all new at the store, claimed to have been setup by the store's tech. I was NOT impressed at all. I really believe when it comes to Les Pauls, you truly DO pay for that Gibson name if you're gonna buy new. If and only if I had more money than I knew what to do with, I would buy a new Gibson LP Custom. I would DEFINITELY not settle for anything less than a Standard, as that was where the playability of the Gibby LP lineup started to supercede the playability of my Agiles.
            Am I an Agile fanboy?
            Nope.
            I am a fanboy of quality though. Gibson just doesn't measure up to its price point. On ANY of their LP lineup.
            Not saying I don't want a Gibson LP, just saying that they're completely not worth the price that they ask for one in today's marketplace. MUCH better guitars can be had for a whole helluva lot less cash.
            I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
              I've played a few studios and to be honest, my Agile AL2000 (bottom of the Agile line selling new for $225) plays just as nice from the factory (ie; not pro setup) as any of the studios that I got to play. Those that I did play were all new at the store, claimed to have been setup by the store's tech. I was NOT impressed at all. I really believe when it comes to Les Pauls, you truly DO pay for that Gibson name if you're gonna buy new. If and only if I had more money than I knew what to do with, I would buy a new Gibson LP Custom. I would DEFINITELY not settle for anything less than a Standard, as that was where the playability of the Gibby LP lineup started to supercede the playability of my Agiles. Am I an Agile fanboy? Nope. I am a fanboy of quality though. Gibson just doesn't measure up to its price point. On ANY of their LP lineup. Not saying I don't want a Gibson LP, just saying that they're completely not worth the price that they ask for one in today's marketplace. MUCH better guitars can be had for a whole helluva lot less cash.
              No worries if you were a fanboy or not. Agile has been very good at the LP thing. But you are right, they are heavy as hell. Basically, If you are already including Epi, Gibson, and Agile and are looking for something else, all I could add are the PRS SE lines. You are already fairly inclusive. Unless you are looking expensive, then I would add Hamer to the list.
              Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Any of the older Japanese LP copies are as good as a Gibson IMO.
                PRS/SE's those are the best bang for the buck quality wise to me.Not super cheap but not high dollar.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  Any of the older Japanese LP copies are as good as a Gibson IMO.
                  PRS/SE's those are the best bang for the buck quality wise to me.Not super cheap but not high dollar.
                  If you troll craigslist for long enough you can score some of the older ones for cheap too. Gotta be quick though
                  It's pronounced soops

Comment

GMP Pawnshop?
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                      GMP Pawnshop?
                      Nah, LP's just dont look right with dots (unless its a jr).

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                        If you troll craigslist for long enough you can score some of the older ones for cheap too. Gotta be quick though

I was talking new not used though.

Comment

So why is Epi not in consideration? They have some nice stuff, and some of it is certainly on par with Gibson.

Comment

Take a look at the LTD EC series.

Comment

I love my PRS Tremonti SE also. Got it for cheap and slapped new pickups in (and locking tuners), boom. Great little guitar, very resonant. I compared it a Epiphone Les Paul Custom 3 and it won hands down. Both were full mahogany, but everything about the PRS blew the Epi out of the water.

My only gripe is the 10" radius. Still, I bought it for rhythms mostly so that's fine. My Model 4 and PRS Torero SE (God, I love that guitar) can handle my pathetic attempts at lead work. ;p

Comment

Working...
                              X