I got a new toy :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a new toy :D

I've been looking for a guitar for the better part of a year and had wanted something in between a LP and a ES-335. I wanted it to have tonal variety, a thunderous neck pickup, a hot bridge PU that wasn't ice-picky and a neck that felt like J-Lo's ass- Fat, silky smooth and a joy to stroke repeatedly. Well, I found it today, and while it wasn't the cheapest thing in the world, it certainly wasn't as expensive as some of the custom shop guitars I had priced out.

What I got was a Gibson Shred LP Studio. It has a partially chambered body, a floyd, and a neck that feels like I'm groping J-Lo's rump. The pickups are so-so, I'll probably put a set of Seymour Duncan's in. Would a 59' (n) and Custom (b) sound good)?

The quality on it is fine. All the frets feel nice and don't jut off the fingerboard. Mine did have a little fret buzz in the store, but once I got it home I raised the floyd rose up a little bit and got rid of the buzz.

I know the guitar is just a "Studio" model and not a fancy LP with a custom top, but its extremely tonefull, which is the point, right? I'll have to give it more time before the honeymoon is over, but so far I'm very pleased.

Nice!
    Alex Lifeson vibe.

Comment

Cool! Saw one at GC yesterday, and it certainly peaked my interest. I'd put a '59 in the neck, and depending on how hot you want it, a Full Shred is a great mid-gainer, or a JB. I've never had a Custom in a LP, but I bet it would work well. Maybe a Custom 5?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
        Cool! Saw one at GC yesterday, and it certainly peaked my interest. I'd put a '59 in the neck, and depending on how hot you want it, a Full Shred is a great mid-gainer, or a JB. I've never had a Custom in a LP, but I bet it would work well. Maybe a Custom 5?
        the guitar has a 498T in the bridge now. Its a great sounding pup, but It's not hot enough. I don't think I'll go the JB route. I hadn't considered the TB-10. Its a thought.

Comment

Aww, was hoping for a nice checker patterned finish. Nice score.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Congrats, I have a couple Les Paul Customs with Floyds (Axcess) which have push/pull coil taps. Does yours have coil taps well? It looks nice!
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Hey that looks nice. Interesting that they would still chamber it with all the wood coming out for the Floyd.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Hell yeah I would own something like that.
                490R 490T I assume? Does it have the PCB board pot set up?
                If so swap that for a Martin Six String pot kit or RSguitarworks pot kit and I'll bet t will sound great.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Finally, a LP that stays in tune. I like it.

Comment

Nice.
                    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Nice guitar - I was drooling over the black one.

Comment

Was never a studio guy, but WOW

Comment

Awesome! Don't let any of the traditional LP players tell you any different...(they just don't know how to string a Floyd :P )
                          Jackson Pro DK2HT - Metallic Black
                          Peavey 6505mh
                          Blackstar HTV 112 Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Model4 View Post
                            Awesome! Don't let any of the traditional LP players tell you any different...(they just don't know how to string a Floyd :P )
                            Or maybe they like absolute tuning stabilty coupled with the abilty to change a string in less than a minute.
                            In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

I wouldn't call standard tuners, standard nut & a tunomatic "absolute tuning stability". It does have the advantage of quicker string changes and quick changes of tuning. Which is handy when a string breaks at the tunomatic mid-gig

btw, I dig the new toy, Ross. The colour & burst are so old school that I hardly notice the Floyd anyway.
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X