No announcement yet.

Kramer SM-1 EMG: a poor man's soloist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kramer SM-1 EMG: a poor man's soloist?

Hi all!

Just found this:

The nice pics:
    http://www.thomann.de/pt/media_bdbvi...3.html?image=0

The specs:
    http://www.kramerguitars.com/Product.../SM-1-EMG.aspx

Also there's a Seymour Duncan version: http://www.kramerguitars.com/Product...ur-Duncan.aspx

I'm really digging the EMG version! Although i much prefer the sharkfin inlays, the Kramer's are kinda cool too. EMG pickups, Korean OFR, ebony fretboard....

So, has anyone already see it person/tested it?

Looks to me like a poor man's Soloist, a poor man's SLAT3-6 (kinda, the SLAT has HH, but you get the idea). What are your thoughts about it?
    Last edited by mnit1965; 05-10-2012, 06:39 AM.

Never played one but if it feels right to you and sounds good, pull the trigger.
    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Originally posted by mnit1965 View Post
      Looks to me like a poor man's Soloist, a poor man's SLAT3-6 (kinda, the SLAT has HH, but you get the idea). What are your thoughts about it?
      No, it is exactly an old ESP Horizon with slight changes to make it a Fender (headstock, inlays). Go on ebay or google and search for a REAL ESP Horizon from the late 80s or early 90s. I paid about 7 bills for my ESP but it is one of my best neck thrus, just below my Bengal SL2H.

Comment

These are almost exact remakes of the older Stagemaster line Kramer did in the late 80's. Look them up for more info.
        Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
        Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

Its a great looking guitar, thats for sure.
          All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Gotta say: I don't like those inlays
            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I like it, especially the white one. I love the original Stagemaster!
              Rick

Comment

My old 80s Stagey was Alder...These new ones are "Mahogany" ...look good though.

Last edited by xbolt; 06-11-2012, 05:50 PM.
                Drive Fast Cars & Play Cool Guitars!!!

Comment

Sold this one here recently its an 87 Stagemaster custom 1
                  Mahogany body maple neck thru one of the very last made.Most were alder back then.
                  Really a great guitar,the bodies were made by ESP and the guitars were finished here in the states.
                  Get an older one if you can they will always be easier to sell.Very high quality guitars.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I own the white Seymour Duncan SM-1, as well as an original late 80's Kramer Stagemaster in fluorescent pink. The Stagemaster is the guitar the SM-1 was modeled after.

The SM-1 is a very well made Korean import. The one thing that may put a lot of people off about it is the neck. It has a big neck for a super-strat - as big as my '99 Gibson Les Paul Classic with the "60's slim taper" neck profile. I'm not sure what the folks at the new Kramer were thinking when they chose this large of a neck profile, but the fact that Kramer is now owned by Gibson may have had something to do with it. My old Stagemaster certainly doesn't have this big of a neck. The SM-1 also has a thicker body and a heavier, more substantial feel to it than the Stagemaster.

If you're a Gibson player and you want to test the waters with a super-strat, the SM-1 would probably be the absolute best choice for you. It's a super-strat with a Gibson feel. If on the other hand you like wizard necks and lightweight instruments, you're probably not going to appreciate the SM-1.

I bought the SM-1 hoping it would be a clone of my Stagemaster, which is one of my best feeling and playing guitars. I do like my SM-1, but I would've much preferred it had a smaller neck profile like that of my Stagemaster.

Comment

Theoretically could you not tape the base of the neck and hand sand the profile to what you want. Rather time consuming but then you could oil the neck and have a nice raw feel
                      Haters gonna hate
                      Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by coloradoman25 View Post
                        Theoretically could you not tape the base of the neck and hand sand the profile to what you want. Rather time consuming but then you could oil the neck and have a nice raw feel
                        Theoretically YES...but I'm not brave enough to try it myself.

Comment

Working...
                        X