Another Les Paul Custom RR Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Les Paul Custom RR Makeover

So, tonight I finally got the final piece on the guitar to complete another Randy Rhoads makeover The guitar is a Les Paul Custom 74 Reissue in Aspen White. For those who are not aware of it, these are 74 RI's that are pretty much identical to the Randy Rhoads sig model except without the brass parts and RR serial number. They even have the same 74 reissue pickups in them. Anyway, I think all cream white LPC's need to be converted to RR models So, I obtained the brass parts from the supplier who made them for Gibson's sig run, replaced the truss rod cover with a blank one, added the Schaller strap locks, replaced the witchhats with gold speed knobs, added pointers under the knobs and, the final part tonight was getting the pickguard engraved with RANDY RHOADS then filling that in with gold paint. It is now a Rhoads clone! The only thing not changed is that I left the Grover tuners on it. I do have a set of original Schaller tuners that could go on it to complete the transformation but I elected not to drill the back of the headstock for Schallers and left the Grovers on. Now my original 74 LPC which previously underwent a similar makeover can stay at home. The 74 RI will be played out live. Here it is before and after.

Before:

...and lets not forget the volute!

The paint was just applied today to the engraved pickguard.

Here it is after the RR Makeover:

Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Hey Rudy,

That's awesome! Love it with the little white Marshall Class 5 as well!

Comment

As they say up here, wicked cool!

Awesome that you now have a reissue to gig with and an original to stay at home.

Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
        Hey Rudy,

That's awesome! Love it with the little white Marshall Class 5 as well!
        Hi Keith! How have you been? I try to include either the Marshall RR stack or the little Class 5 in at least one shot because it shows just how much the Rhoads LPC has yellowed.

Originally posted by Ward View Post
        As they say up here, wicked cool!

Awesome that you now have a reissue to gig with and an original to stay at home.

Congrats.
        Thanks, yes I was fortunate enough to be able to do that. This 74 Reissue is not a brand new guitar, almost though. A guy had it on E-Bay a while back and he bought it new. Turned out to be about an hour away from me and it was in nearly new condition with all case candy, certificate of authenticity, etc... So it made perfect sense to convert it into an RR clone and gig it. In fact its first show will be coming up June 9 All the mods are also completely reversible and I saved the original parts that came on it from the factory. Even the original pickguard from the guitar is in the case with the Gibson Custom sticker still on it. I bought a replacement pickguard from Gibson and had it engraved. Although I doubt I'll have it back to the stock look again, the RR look is just too cool
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Nice fuckin job Rudy! I'm not much of a LP fan but think I'll have one of those one day. Even if it's not a Gibson. Just want a RR looking one around to mess with..
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
            Nice fuckin job Rudy! I'm not much of a LP fan but think I'll have one of those one day. Even if it's not a Gibson. Just want a RR looking one around to mess with..
            You can always pick up something like an Edwards LPC and if you need help with all the Randy Rhoads pieces just let me know. You can then have RR flavored LP at a fraction of the cost. The Edwards is a nice guitar.
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
              The only thing not changed is that I left the Grover tuners on it. I do have a set of original Schaller tuners that could go on it to complete the transformation but I elected not to drill the back of the headstock for Schallers and left the Grovers on
              Isn't it possible to just simply put some schaller machinehead buttons on it?
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                Isn't it possible to just simply put some schaller machinehead buttons on it?
                Maybe, but to make it a 100% accurate clone would require drilling the other holes in the back of the headstock and putting Schallers on it all the way. Buttons are easy enough to change so maybe down the road I'll do that, who knows.
                BTW, the Rhoads sig run that Gibson did in 2010 did not include Schaller logo'd tuners on all the guitars. A few had real Schallers while many others had what appears to me to be a Schaller copy with Gibson on them. Tried to ask Gibson at NAMM that year what was up with that but never could get a straight answer out of them as to why they switched during production.
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Nice guitar. Shouldn't it have a brass nut too?

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    Nice guitar. Shouldn't it have a brass nut too?
                    Thank you. Randy's does not have a brass nut. Perhaps you're thinking of my real 74 LPC which does have a brass nut, someone replaced the stock but with a brass one somewhere along the way.
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Awesome. Simply Awesome.
                      -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

That's cool!
                        DiMarzio Endorsee
                        www.dimarzio.com
                        Morley Endorsee
                        www.morley.com
                        "Intelli-Shred" author