X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - My first Ibeenhad

Is this one any good?

Just trying to keep up with straycat

Looks to me like an Ibanez RG550. If it is, then yes it's good. Any Ibanez made in Japan is great though so it's all good.

Comment

RG550

Made in Japan

s/n F044671 I think. Maybe I missed some numbers but I'm sure of the F044.

Comment

Congrats and nice score. I used to have an Ibanez RG770 i bought new @ 1991. I miss that guitar soo much, i'm still kicking myself for selling it.

Comment

Nice guitar Don. 550's have paper thin necks, but they're still awesome!!!

Comment

550's made in Japan are the only ones I care for.
            Passed on a sweet charcoal gray made in Japan JS today nice guitar but the non tilt headstock kills it for me.
            Good score Don.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Ok, since no one else has said it yet... GTWGITS!
              In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

First pics is close enough me thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  RG550

Made in Japan

s/n F044671 I think. Maybe I missed some numbers but I'm sure of the F044.
                  Ah, I thought you were asking what it was Either way very nice score!

Originally posted by kermitz View Post
                  Congrats and nice score. I used to have an Ibanez RG770 i bought new @ 1991. I miss that guitar soo much, i'm still kicking myself for selling it.
                  I got a nearly mint 1990 one a little while ago!

Comment

The 550 was the only Ibanez I ever liked. Happy NGD.
                    I like EL34s.

Comment

Serial makes it a 1990 RG550. Fantastic guitars.
                      I have a 1987 RG560 (H-S-S no pickguard) and love it.
                      -Rick

Comment

Still looking for a desert yellow 550/maple board seems like forever.

Comment

The F at the beginning of the serial number means that it was made at the Fujigen factory, which is considered to be the best factory that Ibanez ever had guitars built in.
                          Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Still looking for a desert yellow 550/maple board seems like forever.
                            those go for crazy prizes

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell View Post
                              Ok, since no one else has said it yet... GTWGITS!
                              Sorry, thought I did that in the first photo. My picture taking skills suck. I was watching to make sure I didn't cut the headstock off, but the black body was hard to see to make sure I didn't cut that off.

The one issue that worries me with the guitar is a small slit in between the locking nut bolts. It doesn't connect the bolts; instead it's between them. I a Dan Erlewine book I have, he said (on one example he worked on) that ths was caused by the truss rod being cranked down too tightly.

The other issues are cosmetic, three dings in the front face of the axe, which is weird because the sharp edges are still in good shape (on most axes I've seen, the edges take the beating).

The neck humbucker doesn't function. It's hard to tell in the pictures but it's in backwards (screws to the bridge instead of the neck).

The hardshell case has two broken latches. Only the third latch works. Usual weird case smell for an old axe.
                              Last edited by DonP; 01-30-2012, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X