New guitar build idea need input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guitar build idea need input

So with luck and a good interview Monday I should be working a contract gig here soon.

I've been wanting a Firebird for a LONG time. I've been thinking about going the Warmoth path so I can do it piece by piece. The way the job market is right now I can't commit to any 3500+ dollar custom shop.

I was curious if price wise anyone know a company that would be a better way to go? I may end up scrapping the idea if warmoth doesn't do OFR routing anyway.

I know there's a lot of shops out there and make custom ones, but anything really above the 2k range is out of the question. and I don't see too many with floyds out there.
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Oh! I have a question, as I recall one of the issues with firebirds is they are thin, would a kahler bridge be a better bet?

Comment

i recall scully, a member from this forum, built a firebird-isk guitar a while ago. not sure of his prices but his work seems top notch... better than the warmoth path.

Comment

Actually his name is Sully, he is a member here . I have 1 of his Firebirds a Trans Blue quilt top 1 Hum. I will say I am very happy with this guitar, I did have him build me a new neck for it only cause I wanted his new headstock design & different inlays. Mine doesn't have a Floyd but wish it did , it was 1 of his earlier works, & he has improved quite a bit since then . Like I said I'm very happy with this guitar & I've owned hundreds since like 84. Check out sullyguitars.com & Sullysguitargarage.com I'll see if I can find a picture to post here for you!

Originally posted by moku View Post
        i recall( scully,) a member from this forum, built a firebird-isk guitar a while ago. not sure of his prices but his work seems top notch... better than the warmoth path.

According To The Prophecy

Comment

Originally posted by moku View Post
          i recall scully, a member from this forum,
          "You rang?"
          ga115.jpg

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Drake S. View Post
            Actually his name is Sully, he is a member here . I have 1 of his Firebirds a Trans Blue quilt top 1 Hum. I will say I am very happy with this guitar, I did have him build me a new neck for it only cause I wanted his new headstock design & different inlays. Mine doesn't have a Floyd but wish it did , it was 1 of his earlier works, & he has improved quite a bit since then . Like I said I'm very happy with this guitar & I've owned hundreds since like 84. Check out sullyguitars.com & Sullysguitargarage.com I'll see if I can find a picture to post here for you!
            Thanks for the plug (that'swhatshesaid), but the best site to view my work is www.sullyguitars.us (Like a fool, I let the .com expire years ago, and someone bought it and parked it).

Warmoth's birds are Gibson spec, which is fine if that's what you want. I don't believe that they do the raised center block on the front and back of the body, which IMO, is lazy. Gibson spec does call for a thinner body (1 1/2 at the wings, 1 5/8 at center). Mine are more Jackson spec in that they're thicker (1 3/4 at center, 1 5/8 at the wings). I think that Warmoth can do a floyd rout on them, but it'll be tight (shealsosaidthat). I can also proudly say that mine don't neck dive.

Anyway, Here are a few of my more recent Ravens:

Anyway, I'm happy to discuss options for a build, but I do need to point out in advance that the only headstocks I put on new builds are my own. Some people want a Jackson headstock, and that's fine, but I don't offer that (the blue guitar was built in 2003, and a lot has changed since then). Finally, I can say that depending on options, I can do something for under 2k.

Sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Speaking of Headstocks & Necks (hint,hint,cough....cough)

Comment

I happen to like the current headstock design very tasty looking.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Speaking of Headstocks & Necks (hint,hint,cough....cough)
                  I know, I know. Shoot me your address.

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  I happen to like the current headstock design very tasty looking.
                  Thanks man! It was designed for this body shape, but works really well with others too.

Sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Always cool to see my pics popping back up in threads. JS-03 is a cool guitar and I liked the neck on that one. Sully builds a nice axe. Drake, if you are replacing the neck, keep me in mind if you ever decide to sell it.

Comment

You got it!

Comment

I PM'd Sully about it. Right now It's all dependent on this job. I was hoping there'd be word on it today as there was supposed to be but things keep dragging.

Part of the reason I was looking at a parts place is because I can't commit to a big build right now until I have the signed contract and my clearance goes through. I was expecting it to be able to say "I'm gainfully employed" today, sadly it seems the people dealing with the money side are still dangling carrots.

Comment

Love the Sully headstock... Can't wait to have my own!

Goodluck eakinj!

Comment

Sorry to revive my old thread but I figured I might as well and add an update. The government contract I was all signed up for didn't go through. I should say the company I had signed a contact with for employment didn't get the government contract so thus i didn't get the job through them... something like that. Anyway. What it actually means is that i'm going to end up having to commute to Santa Clara or San Jose again, love those three hour one way commutes and four plus hour commutes home. Gotta do what I gotta do.

In any event, i'm still chomping at the bit, it isn't over yet

Comment

Working...
                            X