Les Paul copy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul copy question

I glimpsed a LP copy in a pawn shop the other day, couldn't get to it, and they acted like I wasn't there, but I'm curious as to what to look for. I've read that the ones to look for have the book-matched HS, and IIRC Hondo supposedly made some good ones. IIRC, some of you here have some, so...
    This one is a Hondo (II?), burst finish, RW? board with block inlays, binding, body binding (front and back I think) but, it's a bolt on (vs set neck.) Unsure of the bodywood. Looks old as dirt, like it set in a closet in the corner, filthy looking. The headstock is bookmatched, and looks to be in good shape overall. My question is: Is this one to get? I'd like a LP custom, but I'm not paying out the ass to get one, and what I've read of some of the old copies, they are near the same. If this one would be a good grab, I think I will.
    "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

I wouldn't buy a LP copy with a bolt on neck no matter what it was.
    I say run Forest... RUN.

Comment

Yea I agree with jg , Id go for a beat up studio if your budget is small.

Comment

I think Straycat has a Hondo LP if I remember correctly.

Comment

Lots of good examples on this vintage Electra page. Look at the LP models starting in the upper left corner: http://www.rivercityamps.com/electra/history.php

Comment

Take a look at Burny, Greco, Tokai, & Edwards for a few nicer knock-offs.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              I wouldn't buy a LP copy with a bolt on neck no matter what it was.
              I say run Forest... RUN.
              Gotcha. Thanks guys. I like your idea too PIKA, but I just saw it, thought I'd ask. Used Gibbys of any type are like gold here for some reason. They ask exorbant prices for them, even when I tell 'em I can get a new LPC shipped for less. I'll keep my money.
              "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

I remember the local music store had an oooold Agile LP copy with a bolt on neck... It was a really good LP copy, cause it played like shit too

Comment

Ive heard great things about the Agiles. Also, if you hunt well enough, you can find some damn nice Epi LPs too. The Epi LPs suffer from the same syndrome as the Gibsons. You gotta pick up 5 of them before you find the one you want. I just picked up the two I just got for $350 each. I love the tone, looks and the feel for the price.
                  HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I just bought a 2 year old Epi Les Paul Ultra II for stupid cheap and the guitar is outstanding. Fit and finish and playability are very very good.

Comment

Yep the ones to get are the set necks.Mine has a sweet flame veneer top on a solid maple top.Mahogany pancake body just like the Norlin era L.P's
                      Mahogany neck as well a very solid great playing/sounding guitar.The pickups are very PAFish and sound so good I left them in there.

Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Steve Hacket plays Burny LPC's almost exclusively
                        Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

I have a Dillion Les Paul Special style copy . Its tremendous.
                          Dillion1.jpgDillion2.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X