Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll

Guys I have posted some of this before but finally got around to taking some decent pics after about a year and a half. This guitar plays itself and has some of the best tone I have ever heard. I put in a titanium sustain block. Has stainless frets. WB Custom pick ups (he is out of business now). Coil splitter. Ebony board. Arch top.
    Also interesting is that this has close to a full size body not the 7/8 that most superstrats have. It is very very light. Bernie got the lightest piece of mahogany he could find. And what they call reverse angel maple top.

Last edited by shredmonster; 06-22-2011, 03:13 PM.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Sweet!
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Very nice
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I was looking at that guitar on Berns gallery. Im ordering another from him ,he is an awesome builder. I was going to steal some of your ideas for my custom except might go hesperian shape. Is that headstock your design?

Comment

Originally posted by P I K A View Post
          I was looking at that guitar on Berns gallery. Im ordering another from him ,he is an awesome builder. I was going to steal some of your ideas for my custom except might go hesperian shape. Is that headstock your design?
          Yeah I drew the headstock out on paper. Upcharge though. And yeah he is an awesome builder. It is the only custom guitar I have that nothing had to be done to. Even my Jackson Custom had to have a few frets filed down.

On the Rico Jr. the neck does not move when the weather changes, best fretwork I have ever seen - total awesomeness. Attention to detail is perfect.

But the best part is how it plays, sounds and the comfy neck.
          Last edited by shredmonster; 06-23-2011, 09:48 AM.
          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Looks great! I have a Diva and a Hesperian in the works. I'll be posting pics of those when they come in.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDaze View Post
              Looks great! I have a Diva and a Hesperian in the works. I'll be posting pics of those when they come in.
              You will love them. He really builds a nice guitar and gets lots and lots of good reviews.
              These are the quality of any high end boutique builder such as Tyler, Anderson and Suhr.
              I have played them all several times.
              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Just got a custom Jekyll around February. The guitar sounds fine, very nice fretwork. But for a 3K+ guitar, it does have a few errors that you don't expect. It seems like a rushed job after 11 months of wait (against the initial 3 or 4 months that I was told).
                1) I asked for alder/maple combo. Got Mahogany/maple combo (that's what it says on the certificate)
                2) The side position markers are wrong from 12th fret upwards. This means instead of them being on 15th, 17th, etc, they are on 14th, 16th, 18th, etc.
                3) Some scuff marks here and there (probably from the setup)
                4) The string plate for the floyd is sligthly to one side.
                5) Woodwork (beneath the paint) in couple of places (specially on the headstock) is un-even. You can see it when you hold it against the light and it is also bumpy when you rub your finger over those areas.
                Did send him an email, but NO ANSWER.
                I can take pics if anyone needs to see. Some of these won't show on pics (points1,3 &5) but the rest will be very obvious.
                This has been my experience.

Comment

Wow, the side position markers would be a major for me. I think if f it was your only guitar you could adjust but with more than one guitar, yikes!
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Here is the evidence on the side markers. I've found the pics. Probably I'll save them for later when I start my own thread on this matter.
                    But for now:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...ghi/inlays.jpg

Like I said, I've contacted him but he's failed to get back to me.

By the way, this is a 22 fret guitar. Have a look at the side markers past 12th fret.

cheers

Comment

That is kinda screwy, good luck.
                      I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Working...
                      X