BC Rich Knowledge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC Rich Knowledge?

I have always wanted a Bich. But there are so many series it is very confusing as to where to start. Platinum, Bronze, NJ, Masterpiece, etc. Does anyone know the way they rank? I know that the Bronze is lower than Platinum. But that is pretty much it.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Not heard of the Masterpiece. Bronze is the lowest of the low though. The NJ's were good in their earlier days, but in 2005 they SUCKED, hence I switched to Jackson Guitars.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Ya that's another part of it.... some years different models were crap. What a confusing product.....
      "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

NJ were made in Nagoya Japan in the 80's, till the late 80's/early 90's when they shifted to Korea. I own one of the Korean models and looooove it. The NJ's made in Japan, (USUALLY featuring Kahler bridges) have maple bodies, or sometimes alder, while the Korean ones, (usually with LFR, Edge tremolo, etc) have basswood bodies.

Platinum series are made in Korea pieces of plywood.

Bronze is made in China/Indonesia/third world country with unpronounceable name, made with either agathis or plywood bodies.

Rave series is a 90's Bronze series, if that makes sense.

Masterpiece's look like Platinum series of the 2010's. They look nice, but truly are just as bad as a Bronze series at heart.

Comment

Sweet. Thank you for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
            Sweet. Thank you for the info!
            Not a problem man! If you see anything around you and you'd like some input on it, give me a shout!

Comment

Bc rich from the bottom up. Bronze ( crap not worth the wood they're made of) platinum series ok but no locking trens usually agathis or basswood bodies. (Think squier)
              Nj nicely made for the money. Locking trems descent tunersusually older bodies better fret work than its lower counter parts. Really good value used. Masterpiece are set neck or neck thru nj series nicer appointments like better pups carved tops retort fretwork. Again really nice guitars forthe price. Great values used. Then comes the usa and usa custom shop. These are obviously the cream if the crop.all hand made and killer.
              Gil

Comment

There was also the Platinum Pro series. Don't know what the body wood is but has all the same features of the NJ but dots instead of diamond inlays. Had a Warlock Platinum Pro, nice guitar!
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                  Masterpiece are set neck or neck thru nj series nicer appointments like better pups carved tops retort fretwork.
                  Really? I saw a masterpiece today and it was bolt on neck. But then, that is what it said on the truss rod cover. Those are pretty easy to swap.

Comment

It's easy. Buy a USA one.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      It's easy. Buy a USA one.
                      Lol, I don't want a Bich THAT badly. :p Just something midrange.

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                        Lol, I don't want a Bich THAT badly. :p Just something midrange.
                        I'd suggest just keeping an eye out for an old NJ. They're built nice and usually cheap!

Comment

IMO, the Masterpiece Bich is a fairly decent guitar for the money (about $400). They're pretty much the entry-level Bich.

I had the opportunity to play a Masterpiece Bich a while back, and I felt it would've made a nice addition to my "collection." Had I the $400 at the time, I probably would have purchased it. The finish looked nice, it played nicely, and the sound was alright, but nothing great. I didn't find any noticeable flaws which would have kept me from purchasing it (other than I didn't have $400...).

I can't say how Masterpiece Biches other than the one I played are as far as quality, but I would put this one on the same level as one of Jackson's NEW JS series guitars.

I own a 1980s B.C. Rich N.J. Series Mockingbird, so I'm not partial to one brand or the other (B.C. Rich or Jackson), and people say the 80s N.Js are pretty decent, but I'd beg to differ...GREATLY. It's not that my N.J. is a bad guitar, but the balance is HORRIBLE, and it just refuses to stay in tune, undoubtedly due to the super-cheap tuning machines. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that I've owned the guitar for over 22 years, and had sentimental value to me (my first "real" guitar...), I would have gotten rid of it long ago.

Anyway, if it's of any consolation, IMO, a Masterpiece Bich is a better guitar than my Mockingbird. My biggest complaint about B.C. Rich these days is that the Rico family is no longer involved in the business, so I feel like B.C. Rich just isn't B.C. Rich any longer. Because of that, I just find myself lacking as much interest in B.C. Rich nowadays.

As a word of warning, stay away from ANY B.C. Rich made in the 90s. B.C. Rich was owned by a company called "Class Axe," and they ran B.C. Rich into the ground. They were so horrible, the Rico family stepped back into the business and overtook distribution and production of them. The guitars were absolute disasters in every sense of the world. Since "Class Axe" has sold off B.C. Rich, they've kinda come around again, but they're still nothing like they used to be when the Rico family was involved in the business.
                          Last edited by Torment Leaves Scars; 05-29-2011, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Yeah, we know about Class Axe, TLS, and the guy that ran it. I've had words (and "physical altercations" ) with him at NAMM shows.
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                              Yeah, we know about Class Axe, TLS, and the guy that ran it. I've had words (and "physical altercations" ) with him at NAMM shows.
                              How'd you manage that? Did you beat the fuck outta him for ruining B.C. Rich, or was it for some other reason?

Comment

Working...
                              X