Family Heirloom - Acoustic Content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Heirloom - Acoustic Content

This guitar has alot of personal history for me since it was probably the first guitar I ever played. It is my Grandfather's old acoustic that he's had since some time in the late '70's and I'm still kinda doing my research to figure out exactly what it is. Unfortunately he's reached a point where he is no longer able to play it and while it's not quite time for it to pass to me I asked if I could do some sorely needed work on it in the meantime and thought I'd share some pics now that I'm done.

The little I know is that it's a Yamaki with a Gibson style headstock. Looks to have a MOP logo and inlays with a what seems to be a really dark rose wood fretboard with tortoise shell binding on the neck and body. I was always told that it was made of cherry wood, but if anyone has any info or observations about it please feel free to share or correct me. I found this page about one very similar, but it's pretty vague...http://guitar-labo.blogspot.com/2008...mmingbird.html

When I got it a good polishing was sorely needed, as well as a thorough fretboard cleaning and conditioning and the frets had some pretty wicked corrosion going on. I did what I could and now that I'm done babbling, ON WITH THE PICS........

Little bit o' neck mojo...

Pretty neat little detail that was hard to photograph, there's a 9 digit number etched into the 1st string tuner handle, I don't know if this is original to the guitar or if it was something my Grandfather did...

...and lastly, my main concern for wanting to tune this up a little (so to speak) was that I spotted this right away. The bridge seems to be getting pulled up causing a split in the top of the guitar. Any tips on how to slow or correct this would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks for reading, and again, any info that anyone could provide about this guitar would be appreciated.

I'm not into hell.........I just dig the soundtrack.........

Here is a site dedicated to Yamaki guitars.

http://dreamworks.fc2web.com/yamaki_daion/

It's in Japanese though. If you know the model name/number, I could probably do some digging in there for you.
    Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

No idea about the guitar, but was your grandfather from the US? Did he buy it from someone in the US? The number on the tuning button could be his or the original owner's Social Security Number.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumRider View Post
        Here is a site dedicated to Yamaki guitars.

http://dreamworks.fc2web.com/yamaki_daion/

It's in Japanese though. If you know the model name/number, I could probably do some digging in there for you.
        Thanks!!! Unfortunately there's really nothing to help id it, even the sticker in the sound hole has disappeared over the years. But thanks to the site you listed I can tell you that it's pretty much identical to this one, only mine has a painted black headstock and the hummingbird design on the pickguard on mine has been mostly worn away...

http://dreamworks.fc2web.com/yamaki_...5hr_index.html

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        No idea about the guitar, but was your grandfather from the US? Did he buy it from someone in the US? The number on the tuning button could be his or the original owner's Social Security Number.
        Nah, he's Canadian too, I'm thinking it must have been something he did because he used to take it all over the country with him while he was working. Maybe a contact number or something.

Thanks guys!!!

Comment

Well, the guitar that you posted the link to has the following specs:

Top: Spruce
          Sides/Back: Mahogany
          Neck: Nato
          Fingerboard: Rosewood
          Bridge: Rosewood
          Body Binding: Tortoise shell
          Bracing: Horizontally symmetrical

BTW, I like the reflection of the Misfits poster in the photo of the back of the guitar
          Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

This is a static age!

Comment

here's some info I found on bridge repair: http://fingerlakesguitarrepair.com/p...dge-reglue.php

There are a couple of links from this page with step by step instructions
              Hail yesterday

Comment

The Misfits Poster in the reflection rules!

sigpic
                Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumRider View Post
                  Well, the guitar that you posted the link to has the following specs:

Top: Spruce
                  Sides/Back: Mahogany
                  Neck: Nato
                  Fingerboard: Rosewood
                  Bridge: Rosewood
                  Body Binding: Tortoise shell
                  Bracing: Horizontally symmetrical

BTW, I like the reflection of the Misfits poster in the photo of the back of the guitar
                  Thanks man, everything I needed to know, except maybe what Nato is......(googles it)

Originally posted by bucketbrian45 View Post
                  This is a static age!
                  I want your skulls!

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  here's some info I found on bridge repair: http://fingerlakesguitarrepair.com/p...dge-reglue.php

There are a couple of links from this page with step by step instructions
                  Bookmarked, thanks man!

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
                  The Misfits Poster in the reflection rules!

Holy hell, poster's gettin' more props than the guitar. I've always referred to it as the metal equivalent of dogs playing poker, but yes, Misfits RULE!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X