Suhr Aldirch pickups for my Heritage LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suhr Aldirch pickups for my Heritage LP

So I have a Heritage H 175 CM Les Paul. Basically it is a LP Custom. I want to change the pickups to Suhr Doug Aldrich model. But should I get the 50 cm or the 53 cm one? Guess the 50 cm one but not sure. Thanks for the help in advance.
    Last edited by Megadeth79; 03-17-2011, 06:29 AM.

Almost certain to be 50mm (Gibson spacing rather than Fender). Don't get 50cm ones because they'd weigh about 3 metric tons.

Just measure the distance between the E strings. It should be 50mm for your heritage and about 53mm for a trem equipped guitar.

Suhr Aldrich pick ups are awesome by the way. Good choice.
    Last edited by Mazrim; 03-14-2011, 09:04 AM.
    All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

No, it depends.

Gibson USA guitars that use the "modern pickups" i.e. 490T, 498T or 500T have a wide string spacing.

Gibson guitars that use "classic pickups" i.e. 57's, BB's have original spacing.

I'd say the best way to find out what spacing you need would be to get off your ass and buy a ruler

Comment

Ok. I will measure the spacing then Thanks guys.

Comment

Get the 50mm pickup. I have the exact same model Heritage and briefly put an Aldrich in mine. It wasn't bad, but I like the Pearly Gates better.

Comment

I think, considering his username, he may want something with a bit more balls than a Pearly Gates, sweet sounding pup though that is.
            Just my opinion.

Comment

Thanks guys. Well I'm not looking for a real high gain sound, but something good with pinch harmonics especially but also an "all-around" pickup if I can say. I guess Aldrich will be fine for that.

Comment

Well I can definitely vouch for the Aldrich as an all round pick up.

Comment

The Aldrich is a nice pickup, I agree. I didn't find that it was great for pinch harmonics, though. It's weighted more towards the low end, and it didn't seem to be much of a "screamer" IMHO. Definitely try it and see what you think. Pickup choice is such a personal thing. Either way, you'll definitely want the 50mm one.

Comment

Well, they certainly scream in my Suhr Modern carve top and although I only rarely use them, pinch harmonics are no problem at all.
                    They're not over eager though, I will say that. Some pick ups are like a wild horse that need restraining but they also over saturate and become brittle and messy. The Aldrich will never do that. All the power and tone is in the right zone and you hear it all. Bass, mids and highs. The note seperation from power chords make riffs sound huge and leads more articulate.

It's not just about pick ups though. How a guitar is set up and other factors like pots come into play, not to mention what you're playing through and the guitar they're in most importantly. I'd say the Aldrich is voiced like a DiMarzio Tone Zone (a great pick up) but with a much richer and wider dynamic range.

There are lots of viable alternatives though.
                    These would also fit the bill given the requirements:

Seymour Duncan - SH-4, SH-5 or SH-10.
                    BKP - Nailbomb or Holy Diver
                    DiMarzio - Evolution, Super Distortion or Tone Zone
                    Suhr - SSH+ or DSH+

Comment

Thanks so much guys. you're great!

Comment

Working...
                      X