Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GC's used Carvins.....why are they so cheap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GC's used Carvins.....why are they so cheap?

I've been looking at some used Carvins on GC's sight and they are easily 50percent of what it costs to get it new. Whats the deal? I have gas for a koa on there right now and its so cheap, but alas no cash.

Acutally I spec'd one out, the same guitar new is 1300 bucks compared to the 500 they are letting one go for.
    "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Because Carvins have no resale value.Great guitars and even a better reason to pick one up on the cheap.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I've bought more than a couple minty Carvins for less than $500. Nice guitars, but never warmed up to the necks. I hate painted necks.

Comment

I hate carvin guitars. They have no resell
        This space for rent

Comment

Been awhile since I've shopped for used Carvins, but from what I remember the "poor resell" myth has been busted.....at least with online sales. Back 20 years ago when the internet was not prevalent, yeah, poor resell. But not so much now. Of course it depends on what it is and the condition. Somebody had a really cool Carvin on the Gear Page a couple weeks ago and it sold for $1,500 within a day or two. I don't think that was too far off from what the guitar sold for brand new.

Comment

I own 4 Carvin's, I only buy used, and only go for the damn good deal.
            If I ever decide to sell, I don't get hosed.
            I usually go for plain Jane. Not in to owning fancy furniture.

Also, Carvin does oiled necks.

In 88 a DC125 with an OFR sold new for $639 shipped.
            In good condition, it could go for around $500 now.
            That's no worse than an 80s Jackson/Charvel.
            Last edited by Tricky; 03-06-2011, 01:56 AM.
            Models
            The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
            I dont need furniture.
            If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
            If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
            And rock that sucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
              Been awhile since I've shopped for used Carvins, but from what I remember the "poor resell" myth has been busted.....at least with online sales. Back 20 years ago when the internet was not prevalent, yeah, poor resell. But not so much now.
              Yeah, the resale on Carvins seems better now than it used to be. And when I was in my local GC a couple years ago, they had a used Holdsworth that they were looking for close to retail on!
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've owned plenty of Carvin's over the years. Some new, most used. The resale is usually pretty bad unless you sell to another Carvin fanatic. What's cool about Carvin is how you can get basically any option they offer on any model with like a six week turnaround. But that's the same thing that's not cool when it comes to resale. You see a lot of used guitars available with a bunch of options that might only interest a few people. And the new prices are really very good, so take a relatively cheap custom model guitar with a bunch of options that are a little out of the ordinary, and you have a low used price. I'm always looking at them, it's just very difficult to find a used one just as you want it. But let me say they are fantastic for the money. Especially the kits. I have a blue Bolt (strat model) that someone else put together, and I have yet to play a guitar that has that kind of action with no issues whatsoever. I paid $300 for it. Best money I ever spent on a used guitar.

Comment

Resale is not an issue if you buy used because they are going up in resale value gradually, so if you bought it used you should get your money back and then some. I bought a used V220 in 1988 for $200 with ohsc, dirt-cheap. Sold it several years ago for $350 which was good at the time. I see them go for $500 pretty routinely now, though sometimes they still go for dirt-cheap if no one's looking. They went for I think $649 brand new with the Kahler trem so not bad.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X