Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite non-Jackson guitar for recording metal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite non-Jackson guitar for recording metal??

I'm wondering if anyone else does a sort of "mix and match" when recording metal. Just curious if there are any unusual combinations that anyone is using out there??
    "What solace lies in the arms of fate"

Les paul?
    This space for rent

Comment

Suhr guitars ... one of the most important things about studio recording is having a guitar that stays in tune and the intonation is perfect across the neck.

Plus they sound killer
      www.vendetta-theband.com
      www.atomhawk.com

Comment

les paul
        I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

A Charvel.

No seriously, I have some partscasters that have a great tone and even if it seems weird playing speed metal on a Seafoam Green Strat no one would know hearing it.

Comment

BC Rich. Specifically my old ST3.

That guitar had the best tone of any guitar I've ever owned I think.

A Les Paul type guitar would be sweet, just for a nice thick tone. Then again, with all the mega-sweeping douchebags, a Les Paul would be too muddy in metal. So a strat applies there.

Luckily, since I don't sweep, me and Les Pauls get along reasonably well.

Anything without EMGs, actually, thats not for recording, thats in general. No EMGs
            Out Of Ideas

Comment

Les Paul. SG.

Comment

i use a brian moore and a fender telecaster with a seymour duncan quarter pounder tele pickup in the bridge. the brian moore panned left running through a marshall, the tele panned right played through a boogie. both go through the same cab - rivera 2x10.

oddball, but they sound beefy and have enough cut. of course i play more in the vain of classic metal, but it still needs to sound "heavy".
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Cool, thanks for all the responses! I have a Gibson, but it's a "The Paul II" and while it's not a "grown up" LP, I've been real surprised at the thick tone the guitar can put out. I was getting it ready to sell, but...well...now I might keep it around to layer up some of the rhythm tracks.

Anyone else?
                  "What solace lies in the arms of fate"

Comment

Weird to say, but I like both of my Godin LG when recording clips (in my book, Godin isn't very metal but they do sound good).
                    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I used to have a The Paul II with a pair of Full Shreds in it. I used it for rhythm tracking quite a bit.

Comment

For the next trip to the studio I think I'm going to use a KE1 for my rhythm tracks and an old BC Rich Gunslinger and a Kramer Sustainer for lead work.
                        2 BC Rich USA Gunslinger's-lightning bolt graphic
                        BC Rich USA Mockingbird-candy apple red metallic
                        BC Rich USA STIII-gray snakeskin
                        Ibanez RG770DX-lazer blue
                        Kramer Sustainer American-black

Comment

Les Paul/Explorer

Comment

While I don't record now, I actually think you can get some nice distinct lead sounds out of a tele, using the right pickup and amp/overdrive combination.
                            Jackson KV2
                            Jackson KE1T
                            Jackson KE1F
                            Jackson SL1

Comment

I don't think there are too many metal playing musicians that don't use a Les Paul for recording rhythm tracks.
                              We have one equipt with EMG's specifically for rhythm tracks.

Comment

Working...
                              X