8 string guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 string guitars

am i the only one who finds 8 strings just overkill?

I find 7 strings overkill to be honest.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

and they sound crap as amps are designed for a certain frequency range which lower tuned instruments drop below
      http://www.youtube.com/dvschsa

sigpic

Comment

Don't care less about them, can't put the thumb over the neck, which means it will look gay.

But they aren't as ridiculous as 6 string basses. I don't need 8 strings on a guitar but If I'd have such an instrument around I'd probably mess around once in a year with those extra strings. Low chugga or violin-ish high notes or some other pointless crap. But 6 string bass? I loaned one from a friend, the changes that I play on the low string are pretty rare but the stupid high tiny string will never get played. And I do play fusion leads.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I'd get one, but tune it like a 7 string, with another higher string, (so B-E-A-D-G-B-E-A?) Just for the hell of it.

Comment

too much, eh?

tell that to tosin abasi.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-Ro...eature=related
            I don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin.

Comment

Originally posted by ceedee View Post
              and they sound crap as amps are designed for a certain frequency range which lower tuned instruments drop below
              They don't sound like crap, listen to Meshuggah's live album. Amplification has changed in the last 30 years.

Originally posted by MetalHeadMat View Post
              I'd get one, but tune it like a 7 string, with another higher string, (so B-E-A-D-G-B-E-A?) Just for the hell of it.
              Apparently Steve Vai wanted his Ibanez Universe with a high A instead of a low B, but found that the string was too thin to be playable.

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
              But they aren't as ridiculous as 6 string basses.
              Endy it's all about expressing yourself. I know a lot a bass players who rock a six string and have adopted a lead bass approach. If you are arguing how much the extra strings are used in heavy metal and rock, that's a different matter all together.
              I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

all the great lead bassist are using 4 string basses
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

John Myung from Dream Theater uses a 6-string bass. 'Nuff said!
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVJ2z...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87UVbOIYT_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JKAb...eature=related
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Misanthrope[ALWT] View Post
                    too much, eh?

tell that to tosin abasi.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-Ro...eature=related
                    That guy is awesome! Meshuggah are also great. And Fear Factory now have 8-string guitar on their new album since Dino is back in the band.
                    I'm not sure I could handle an 8 myself, but the 7 is cool. I used to own an Ibanez RG7620 years ago, then had a Schecter 007 Elite, got sick of them after awhile and sold them off. I really want to get back into playing a 7 and just recently ordered a custom Carvin 7.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

John Myung is boring as hell and can't groove, next...

Comment

Real lead playing on electric bass was started by Stanley Clarke and Jaco, both 4 string players. Then all the greats Gary Willis, Jimmy Johnson, Jeff Berlin, Dave Holland, Jonas Hellborg etc. 4 string players. Rock wank a la Billy Sheehan, 4 strings. Ground breakers who still are on top Marcus Miller, Stu Hamm, Michael Manring, Victor Wooten 4 string. Very few good players use more than 4 string players. And it's usually 5 strings than 6 or 7. Those extra strings are even rarer among exclusively groove oriented players.
                        Last edited by Endrik; 02-03-2011, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Tony Levin often uses 5 stringer live, for low D not when he plays with funk fingers. Mike Porcaro also for low D or C#.
                          Richard Bona also some times uses a fiver for low notes.
                          But 6 stringer for high notes? Anthony Jackson has a 6 stringer and I really have to concentrate to recall when was the last time he touched the 6th string...

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
                            Apparently Steve Vai wanted his Ibanez Universe with a high A instead of a low B, but found that the string was too thin to be playable.

7 strings were around before vai but he was the first to have the low b.

Comment

Jackson made an 8-string for NAMM. Some interesting features on that guitar, there's a shot of Pablo(?) holding it somewhere on the forum. Surprised nobody here started a thread about it.
                              I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
                              X