Ibanez RGT42BP Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez RGT42BP Review

2003, neck thru, 24 jumbo frets, Black Pearl metallic. Looks great but lets get to the important stuff.

Stock INF1 and INF2 humbuckers, 5 pos switch, LO TRS II trem. Screw on bar, bound neck, neck thru body construction. This guitar is 100% stock. All I did was give it a good set up.

Here are the important things you need to know about this guitar from a guy who really puts his guitars through the ringer. I am a very heavy bar user and regularly spend 8 hours sessions in the studio so playability and tuning stability are extremely important. So is tone. If it doesn't sound good.. whats the point.

How does it sound? Great. The INF1 and INF2 pickups are just as good as any of the Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, Bill Lawrence and Bartolini pickups my other guitars have.

How does it play? The action is outstanding, slinky with just the right amount of tension, no dead frets, no fretting out, and it has no tonal weak spots on any fret.

How is that so-called piece of crap Lo TRS II trem? Stays in tune perfectly, very reactive, pull ups or push downs it always returns to pitch, the low profile doesn't get in the way of my pick hand. I would rate this trem an 8 out of 10 only because my RG550's have Edge's on them with pop in bars and they are 10's.

Basically, the RGT42BP is an outstanding guitar. I would rank it just as good as any Carvin 6 string neck thru I have ever owned. Incredible bang for the buck. Amazing actually.
    There you have it.

Glad to see a good review from someone who actually plays his guitar! Yes, those cheap Ibanez are nice guitars!

I own a RG350M, poor man's RG550 (also own a pair of RG550!!!) and I don't understand the hate regarding the Edge III floyd of these. I play mine at our weekly rehearsal, practice with it at home. Did a few gigs also with it. Stays in tune and does the job just fine. No, it's not a Edge but it's real decent Floyd copy.

I had the same PUs in my RG350M, they were OK but thanks to someone on the forum, I got a ToneZone and Evo from a SolCal and I put those into my RG350M. Now the guitar screams with my 6505.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I think the RGT's are outstanding value. My brother in law has a RGT6EXFX (Maple neckthru, basswood, fixed bridge, and EMG 81/85) and IMO it is a great guitar. Similar feeling neck to my 87 Model 6. Really solid feel.
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Pics please.Whats the price point on these?
        Last edited by straycat; 02-02-2011, 01:56 AM.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

rgt42bp.jpg

They seem to sell used around the $350.00 price range.

Comment

I have one with a primered face and BP body right now I am messing with. I have had 3 of these over the years and dollar for dollar they are an awesome value.
            Haters gonna hate
            Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Fooking sweet looking.

Comment

Found one today its the satin purple flame maple top with matching headstock
                Edge III trem I guess is what it has.Not sure on the year may be able to snag it for $250.00 give or take no case.
                Nice shape and has DiMarzios not the INF version.Has some upgraded string locks on it not sure about that either that's what he said anyway.
                The guy is a Julliard school of music graduate down on his luck and lost it in pawn I may grab it.

Comment

250$ with Dimarzios! Get it!
                  JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                  Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Going to check on it tomorrow I'll let you know if I get it.
                    Found a hard tail version too RG42 something or other.Its got the dot inlays not the sharks.
                    New $399.00 but going to wait the other is more what I want.

Comment

Working...
                    X