Indonesian Hamer Gold Top P90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indonesian Hamer Gold Top P90

I bought one of these new and I loved the guitar but I hated the P-90s (noise). The only way P90s are quiet is in the middle position with both neck and bridge active. The guitar itself is solid. A chunk of mahogany. Great sustain, action and a good feeling neck. But... I hated the P-90s. So I bought a set of lace Alumitone 90s to replace the Hamer 90s. They are perfect. I can sit the guitar on a stand with the amp in full distortion mode and you hear nothing. I strongly recommend these pickups for anyone building an extra guitar or anyone that has P90s on an existing axe but hates the noise.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/14556039@N05/5406728938/
    Last edited by bigolsparky; 01-31-2011, 10:40 PM. Reason: Photo

that looks really cool!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Ok, I'll rip those nasty P90's out of my 56 Les Paul and 63 SG Special and get some of these. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Great idea!! I used to have a 50s Les Paul Jr. with a P90. I would still have it if they made these pickups in the 80s. It was a real turd.

Comment

those look sharp!
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
            those look sharp!
            Indeed! Hamer makes some very nice guitars, USA and import.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I am going to change the bridge, tailpiece, and switch to gold next. Any suggestions? I am looking at Gotoh on Warmoth. Seems to be the best deal. I have been playing and trying to figure out what these pickups sound like in all areas. If you are looking for a P-90 sound with no noise, this is NOT your pickup. They really sound nothing like P-90s to me. Fortunately, I was not looking for that, so I really like them so far. They sound great distorted and are not muddy at all. Even with ridiculous distortion you hear every string. Maybe the cleanest pickup I have ever heard, and for some of your tastes, perhaps a little devoid of character, particularly when played clean. I have been able to compensate with my amp and the no noise thing is huge for me. The only noise you hear is when strings are vibrating.
              Last edited by bigolsparky; 02-03-2011, 07:35 AM.

Comment

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14556039@N05/5449460477/
                Last edited by bigolsparky; 02-15-2011, 10:53 PM. Reason: Pic wouldn't show.

Comment

what about gold strings?
                  no sig.....

Comment

Don't think for a second I haven't thought of that. I can't find any. if anyone knows where to buy some...

Comment

Originally posted by bigolsparky View Post
                      Don't think for a second I haven't thought of that. I can't find any. if anyone knows where to buy some...
                      I looked to see if they were avalable before posting

http://www.highlystrung.co.uk/acatal...r_Strings.html
                      no sig.....

Comment

I ordered them.
                        http://www.juststrings.com/opt-eg2028rl.html

Comment

What is the big deal with the colored strings? I guess if you are 12 they might look OK.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I am 48, I have been told I act like a twelve year old though. I take it as a compliment.

Comment

Originally posted by bigolsparky View Post
                              amazing im going to get a set for my rg 470
                              no sig.....

Comment

Working...
                              X