Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to make a Dave Murray Black Floyded strat

Paging GrandTurk

Ok, so a little background. I have a USA Peavy Predator $65 into which I stuck a DM pickguard $100 (PAF, MIM single, SuperD). It sounds like Maiden. So I'm under the impression I can slap this pickup combo into any strat and get tat sound.

I have a 1996 MIM strat that is "special" from what I've been able to research, it was the predecesor to the JV strat. It has the wide 2 7/16" vintage trem, vintage tuners, etc. It came loaded with Texas Specials. The routing is H-S-S so I'd have to hack it to get the H-S-H in there. I'm thinking I shouldn't fuck with this guitar because it seems pretty good.

So instead, I'm thinking of piecing together the axe, but I want it Floyded. I'm mainly looking for ideas on which body and neck to go for. I want a thin neck, jumbo frets, Floyd shelf. Should I just get a black charvel USA or MIJ routed for H-S-H and slap the pickups in a call it done, or would you try and piece this together?

I would go the pro mod parts route lots of bodies and necks online.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

How close to Davey's Strat do you want to get? Are you looking to for black with a maple board? Wanna do his rosewood 60's strat?

A - there's nothing special about any MIM strat, so I wouldn't worry about modding one

B - there's plenty of great folks on the forum who can help you out with the routing and such - ulijdavid of Doberman guitars Floyded a strat for me

C - I don't want to pimp my parts but pm me...

Pretty much a super distortion and a paf will get you the sound you want in an alder bodied strat.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Black with Maple - the classic one. Time for bed, but I'll pm you tomorrow. Yeah, sticking the PAF and Super D in the Predator (Strat Copy) pretty much nails it pretty easy.

Comment

If you do stay MIM, the 2006+ necks have USA profile, jumbo frets, and satin finish. I have a Black/Maple 2006 strat I picked over a few different year USA's in the same area price range because of the neck. (And it was in perfect condition..). I like the lighter colored (clearer) satin finish of the MIM's better than the aged glossy finish on the USA's personally.
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Yep. GC's have plenty of Strats to choose from as well. Strat overload

Comment

Working...
            X