NGD: Ibanez S Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Ibanez S Series

This is my newly-acquired 1995 Ibanez S470.
    It's a Korean model with bolt-on neck with AANJ.
    It's in really good condition for a 16-year-old guitar.
    Only one small ding where it looks like the back of the trem pushed into the edge of the route.
    It has the Lo TRS II bridge, which is supposedly junk, but this unit feels very well made.
    I replaced the string lock blocks and the screws with the ones from an old Ibanez Lo TRS, which is supposed to be a better-built trem.

It has the AS1 single coil pickup in the middle, and was humbuckerless when I got it.
    I slapped the passive EMG clones I had in there and it sounds pretty nice.
    Currently trying to get a set of Ibanez AH1 & AH2 'buckers to put the stock ones back in there.
    It also has mismatched tuners. 3 are the original Ibanez ones, the other 3 are black Grovers.

It's a solid mahogany body with carved top and back.
    Neck is 1 piece maple Wizard II.
    Rosewood fretboard with pearl dot inlays.
    Frets are in fantastic shape, and the whole guitar plays like a dream.
    I'm typically not a big Ibanez person, but I'm really liking this one.
    (Especially for the next-to-nothing I got it for!)

My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

nice score, I played one waaaay back when they first started producing them. I love the thin bodies on 'em. In fact, my next guitar will either be a DK2 or an S570.
    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Why do you have two different pairs of tuners on there lol? Looks like some grovers and the stock gotohs from ibanez

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
        Why do you have two different pairs of tuners on there lol? Looks like some grovers and the stock gotohs from ibanez
        Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
        It also has mismatched tuners. 3 are the original Ibanez ones, the other 3 are black Grovers.
        I kinda like the "alternating tuners" look.

The guy I got it from said one of the tuners broke. I'm assuming the Grovers he had were 3x3, since he only replaced 3 of the 6.
        He didn't screw the Grovers down, which is nice...no extra holes added. They are nice and secure though...
        Last edited by DalyTek; 01-05-2011, 08:17 PM.
        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

Am I the only one that noticed the safari tiles???
          I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

lol, that's my comforter!

Comment

and I was thinking, "I've never seen THAT flooring before!"

Comment

Had a black S470 many, MANY moons ago and loved it. Very trim, comfy guitars to play and the necks are to die for. Lusted after the S540LTDs for years but was never able to score one. Gave my 470 up for a Jem. Very nice axe. Congrats on the score. She's a beaut.

LJ
                "Yes, but ... these go to eleven!"

Comment

Thanks. I actually picked it up because of how good of a deal it was, with the intent to slap some pickups in it and flip it.
                  Had no idea how good that guitar was gonna feel and play. I never seem to hold onto a guitar for long, so (realistically) I will probably eventually trade it.
                  But for now....wow. For a "budget" guitar, this is one outstanding specimen!

Comment

I picked up an Ibanez SZ370 I like the neck through and string through body style.

We will know for the first time...
                    If we are evil or divine...
                    We are the last in line...RJD RIP

Comment

It plays great doesn't it??

I have a 1987 RG550 in Salmon with a maple neck, a 2003 RGT42BP which is absolutely outstanding and a el cheapo Ibanez Talman TM71 and they are all fantastic looking, playing and sounding guitars. I am extremely happy with Ibanez and would take an endorsement deal from them in a second.

Comment

Yeah it does sound and play great, the neck took a bit of getting used to, I'm used to a Charvel shredder neck, and the Ibanez is closer to a Les Paul neck.
                        We will know for the first time...
                        If we are evil or divine...
                        We are the last in line...RJD RIP

Comment

congrats!! i still have my '87 540S in desert sun yellow. i got it new when i was in the 8th grade. it is an amazingly comfortable guitar, and it is the only guitar i have ever kept 100% factory stock. it is really versatile too, with the 3 on/off switches and the coil tap volume control.

enjoy yours!!
                          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X