Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson question - pickup hum

Hi all,

I'm about to sell a Gibson "The Paul II" that I have but had a question about the noise from the bridge pickup. It seems to make a little hum (NOT "bucked" ) when I do sort of palm muting, or if I touch the pickup while the amp is overdriven/distorted. Clean seems okay, but when I'm on a distorted setting, somehow the connection of my hand to the strings and perhaps onto the pickup makes it buzz slightly. It's not major, but I began to wonder about it because I don't want to sell anything that someone is going to be unhappy with. If it sounds like a soldering/grounding issue, I'll open it up and fix it. If people think it's nothing to worry about, then...I won't worry!

Just figured I'd ask the experts and I realize without actually hearing it, it's hard to diagnose. But in general, do you think it should be making noise or no?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    "What solace lies in the arms of fate"

Has the guitar wiring been messed with in the past?

Those were bad years for Gibson. There may not be a ground wire connecting to the tailpiece. Make a jumper cable clipping one end to the strings and the other end clamp on the outside shield of you lead cable (going into the axe). This will ground the strings. If the noise goes away, you've found the problem.

Comment

+1
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks for the help and advice! I don't know much about working on guitars, but I think I understand what you're talking about. Listening a bit more tonight it doesn't sounds terrible, but it is intermittent which makes me wonder. And like I said, I want to sell it but don't want to sell anything bad to anyone.

I'll try what you're saying and let you know. Thanks!
        "What solace lies in the arms of fate"

Comment

Working...
        X