What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do?

I have a dilemma. All of my guitars are floyded. I keep them either in E standard, Drop D or tuned down half a step. I'd like to have a guitar for alternate tunings that doesn't have a double locking trem so I can change tunings without the hassle of a floyd. I'm thinking I'd like a hollow body as well. I've been playing a lot of alt rock lately and just like how a hollow body sounds. I've sold a few guitars recently and have some money to do a few things, I just don't know what option to take.

1) I could splurge and pick up a used Gibson Custom shop ES-335. They sound and feel great, but cost a thousand more than I want to spend. + I have an upcoming car purchase and really shouldn't be spending $2500 on a guitar right now... But, they really sound fantastic!

2) I could pick up a bunch of agile guitars. They have a Ric copy as well as a 335 copy. I could change the hardware and electronics and still have money left over for whatever. I could even pick up an extra agile or two.

2a) I could go with an agile 335 copy and pick up a used Splawn amp.

3) Maybe there's something I haven't thought of.

What would you do?

Pay cash for a car then worry about a guitar.JMO
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

If you like the feel of the Floyds, like me, why don't you just block a trem on one of them?

But seeing the hollowbody-ness, I'd suggest one of the LTD Xtone's. I played one of these new models and loved the thing. It sounded great for metal with the distortion, with the correct distortion sounded good for classic rock, and the cleans were magnificent.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        Pay cash for a car then worry about a guitar.JMO
        +1.

Listen to us, you young wipper-snapper

Comment

Epiphone Dot maybe?
          METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by MetalHeadMat View Post
            If you like the feel of the Floyds, like me, why don't you just block a trem on one of them?
            +1 Ive done this to all my floyded guitars. I just tonight dropped my Kelly to drop C and had no issues because of the trem block. Theyre $10 online or free if youre creative with what you have at home. I once super glued a bunch of pennies together then to the sustainer block to make a trem block once, worked great.
            HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
              +1 Ive done this to all my floyded guitars. I just tonight dropped my Kelly to drop C and had no issues because of the trem block. Theyre $10 online or free if youre creative with what you have at home. I once super glued a bunch of pennies together then to the sustainer block to make a trem block once, worked great.
              I used quarters. Last time I used a block of wood, but it was cheap wood and would squish from the string tension, and would go all out of tune. This time I just stacked quarters, (not super glued :ROTF: )

Comment

Look into the Morpheus DropTune pedal. No need to buy any guitars. You can use your current Floyded guitar for all those tunings without touching your tuners, except for the drop D tuning of course. Here is one link that sort of demos it:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcDvSq1pFjA
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Teles are cool...they definitely have their own thing going on. There is a semi semi-hollow version, the name escapes me.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
                    Teles are cool...they definitely have their own thing going on. There is a semi semi-hollow version, the name escapes me.
                    Thinline?

Comment

Originally posted by MetalHeadMat View Post
                      Thinline?
                      Yes, that's it, thanks.

I don't know if one of those would fit the OP's bill, but they are simple and rock solid.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
                        Yes, that's it, thanks.

I don't know if one of those would fit the OP's bill, but they are simple and rock solid.
                        Actually, I have a cheapo Xaviere tele thinline copy that I use sometimes. I was looking at the 335's or copy's for a "bigger" tone.

Comment

The guitar of your dreams

"There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I think I'm just going to get a cheap Agile, upgrade the pups to some Seymour Duncan P-rails and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
                              I think I'm just going to get a cheap Agile, upgrade the pups to some Seymour Duncan P-rails and be done with it.
                              I still say the Morpheus Drop Tune pedal will cost you even less than an Agile with swapped pickups and do all that you want to do tuning wise
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                              X