Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you guys help me out with these Kramer MusicYo guitars I bought used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you guys help me out with these Kramer MusicYo guitars I bought used?

I've been a member here for many years, and when those MusicYo Kramers came out I remember really wanting to buy some of them. I never did, and then just sort of forgot about them. Living in Austin, I come across just about everything at some point, and the other day I came across 2 of those Kramers in absolutely mint condition...must have been owned by the same guy, because they were in the same pawn shop. One is a candy apple red Striker, and the other is a green crackle finish that I think looks killer, but it has no model name. The green one has a neck really close to my Charvel Model series, and just plays kick butt. However, I don't know what it's called. It has a reverse headstock, one Quadrail and 2 dualrail pickups. Also has a nice Floyd-type trem of some sort. Anybody know what this is?

The Candy apple red Striker is also in mint condition, and has the same pickup configuration, but the neck is completely different, being much thicker and harder for me to play. I have been using the Charvel Model Series guitars (mostly Model 4's) since 1986, and love the necks on them. Anyway, can someone possibly fill me in on the details of these guitars, such as wood types, who made the trems, who made the pickups (man, I think they sound great) and any other information that you might have? I am digging the crap out of these guitars, and would just like to know more about them. I didn't know that MusicYo had gone out of business. These are Korean-made, of course. I got them for what I think are great prices. $125 and $135 with hardshell cases. What do you guys think, and can you give me more info on them? Thanks in advance, and I appreciate anything you can tell me about them.

Dana <~~~
    '85 Rhoads Custom
    '86 SD Str*t
    '86 Model 4 (5)
    '87 Model 1
    '87 Model 6
    '88 Model 3DR
    '90 650 XL
    '94 KE-3
    '97 DR Amberburst
    '97 Dinky BOFlames
    '05 SD Copperhead

does the green crackle have the ibanez S-type body? if so, it is a striker also - just from a different series. hard to tell without pictures!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
      does the green crackle have the ibanez S-type body? if so, it is a striker also - just from a different series. hard to tell without pictures!!

Actually bro', I don't know what the Ibanez S-type body is. I don't have many Ibanez guitars. The bodies on the 2 Kramers are very similar, just the necks are very different. Plus the red one has a regular headstock, and the green one has the reverse. Sorry for my ignorance. How many series were there? And when did they stop making them? Did I get a good deal on them? Thanks man!

Dana <~~~
      '85 Rhoads Custom
      '86 SD Str*t
      '86 Model 4 (5)
      '87 Model 1
      '87 Model 6
      '88 Model 3DR
      '90 650 XL
      '94 KE-3
      '97 DR Amberburst
      '97 Dinky BOFlames
      '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

if the crackle one is bolt on and stratish shape it is also a striker. Music Yo called all those bolt ons with the Quadrails Strikers (stratish shape, regardless of headstock orientation.)

For those prices you did excellent! those guitars never felt quite right in my hands (necks were too big IIRC), but they are very well built for the prices. Just think, nowadays if you're spending under $400 its built in Indonesia, but Korea is one of the most respected countries for imports, seen as a step below Japan (and I would rate Japan the best of any country, but YMMV)

post some pics if possible, I'd love to see the crackle!
        Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
          if the crackle one is bolt on and stratish shape it is also a striker. Music Yo called all those bolt ons with the Quadrails Strikers (stratish shape, regardless of headstock orientation.)

For those prices you did excellent! those guitars never felt quite right in my hands (necks were too big IIRC), but they are very well built for the prices. Just think, nowadays if you're spending under $400 its built in Indonesia, but Korea is one of the most respected countries for imports, seen as a step below Japan (and I would rate Japan the best of any country, but YMMV)

post some pics if possible, I'd love to see the crackle!

Cool man, thanks for the info! I will go take some pics right now and post them. It may take me a while to get them up here, as we are still on dial-up...LOL, but I'll get 'em up there. Thanks again!

Dana <~~~
          '85 Rhoads Custom
          '86 SD Str*t
          '86 Model 4 (5)
          '87 Model 1
          '87 Model 6
          '88 Model 3DR
          '90 650 XL
          '94 KE-3
          '97 DR Amberburst
          '97 Dinky BOFlames
          '05 SD Copperhead

Comment

I saw those when I was trolling the Pawn Shops around town.
            “The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is winning an argument with a liberal”

Comment

Originally posted by guitarforceone View Post
              Actually bro', I don't know what the Ibanez S-type body is.
              If you're familiar with the Jackson Stealth series, most of those (Pro, XL, EX, TH) have a body style very similar to the Ibanez S-series. I vaguely remember the MusicYo Kramers, and that would be an accurate comparison to some of the models they offered.
              sigpic

Comment

I have a string thru, neck thru MusicYo Barretta in red (as MusicYo called them). The neck is nice and thin, reverse headstock, two humbuckers, 3 way switch with volume, tone (push/pull). It's a very sweet axe. Every time I think I want a Model 5, I pick this up and remember I only paid $150 for it.

Comment

Be careful. Those guitars can rage from very good to complete crap. They were made in Korea by Samick for the first several years. Then they moved to Indonesia and got crappy. Then they moved to China and got super crappy. As far as MusicYo guitars, get one of the reverse headstock 24 fret Baretta's. Those things are Jackson Soloist copies and are really good for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by lepard View Post
                    Be careful. Those guitars can rage from very good to complete crap. They were made in Korea by Samick for the first several years. Then they moved to Indonesia and got crappy. Then they moved to China and got super crappy.
                    I got a feeling a LOT of guitars currently do or will suffer when production shifts away from Korea (and of course Japan). It'd be helpful if we make a thread later on of which manufacturers are doing this. Unfortunately, I think many are.
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by lepard View Post
                      Be careful. Those guitars can rage from very good to complete crap. They were made in Korea by Samick for the first several years. Then they moved to Indonesia and got crappy. Then they moved to China and got super crappy. As far as MusicYo guitars, get one of the reverse headstock 24 fret Baretta's. Those things are Jackson Soloist copies and are really good for the money.
                      Thanks for the heads up. Mine is a MIK and you are right, the neck profile feels like and exact copy of my 2005 SL2H.

I just got done playing and it is wonderful to play, bashing out some MOP. It doesn't have the original quad-rails, instead, it's something that looks like DiMarzio's (dual rows of black hex heads) but they aren't. They do sound good and this guitar rips for thrash metal. Shocking good quality, the wood really resonates like some good stuff. When I saw it in the store I didn't know shit about them but I figured a neck-thru at that price, why not?

Comment

here you go: http://www.vintagekramer.com/musicyoStriker424.htm lots of info there on your kramer striker. also here: http://www.vintagekramer.com/musicyoStriker424.htm

Comment

This is an early Music Yo Striker 2001.Very early ones only had 1 quad rail pick up.
                          The trem is a floyd knock off but a very solid trem.
                          These also have a route for a D tuna.
                          Body is a shallow arch top.Very fine guitar and plays wonderfully.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                          X