Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guitar Finally

I am finally looking for a new guitar.
    I am more of an amp guy and I only own 2 guitars that I play live over the last 5 years.
    1st year Ibanez RG550 and a 1st year Washburn N2
    Both are beat to crap, worn out, rebuilt and they both play and sound great.
    I need to add a 3rd guitar to my fleet and I have been tossing around either a 7 string or a scalloped necked guitar.

I have owned at least 10 of them in the past over the years. Malmsteens, Blackmores, customs, etc...
    I have been looking at those Italian Malmsteen clone EKO's. They are very reasonably priced and they have been making guitars for a very long time.

Regarding 7 stringers, I have owned just about everything on the market. The ones I liked the most were the Ibanez RG7620/7621. I also owned a few Jem Universe's many Carvins, Washburns, Schecters, etc...
    The only thing I require for the 7 string is a fixed bridge. I will be experimenting with a fair amount of alternate tunings and I don't want to mess around with a floating trem.
    Anything out there I should be looking at that I don't know about already?
    Cosmetics aren't an issue. I am rough on my guitars because they are mainly used live.
    I am also not into expensive guitars because again.. I use them live and I am fairly rough on the handling of them. Chips, color, scratches, nicks, none of that stuff matters to me.
    Playability and tone are the only things I am interested in.

I would go with what works and get a beater Universe or other Ibanez 7 string. I don't think anyone does a better 7 - certainly not a better looking 7.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
      I would go with what works and get a beater Universe or other Ibanez 7 string. I don't think anyone does a better 7 - certainly not a better looking 7.
      +1

RG7620 comes to my mind. Check out for these ones.
      JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
      Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

J Custom RG8527
        About as good as 7 strings get in my opinion.

RG7
        Another awesome 7 string and very similar

Last edited by Mazrim; 12-02-2010, 06:59 AM.
        All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
          I only own 2 guitars that I play live over the last 5 years.
          1st year Ibanez RG550 and a 1st year Washburn N2
          I think we need to take away your J/C mancard

Here's a thought - start a relic service. People loan you their guitars and you wear them out for them in exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            I think we need to take away your J/C mancard

Here's a thought - start a relic service. People loan you their guitars and you wear them out for them in exchange.

I hear you. I have owned a ton of Charvel and Jackson guitars but they never lasted too long with me.
            Theguitars I actually feel comfortable playing every day are Ibanez RG550's, Washburn N2's and N4's and Peavey Wolfgang's. I am looking for another guitar strictly for inspiration. I need to start writing a new album worth of songs. I figured a 7 string or a scalloped neck'd guitar would help the cause.
            I want to go cheap though. I am not into the high end guitars anymore. As long as it has strings on it and it stays in tune I am cool with it. I am way more picky with amps than I am with guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              As long as it has strings on it and it stays in tune I am cool with it.
              I hear ya. I feel quite similar regarding my guitars these days!
              JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Working...
              X