No announcement yet.

79 Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im DYING from for a '79 LPC. They had a beat to hell one at GC, WAAAAY over priced, but something about that guitar man. I like the idea of a 3pc maple neck and the volute. Pretty much the perfect LPC to me. It did have a small switch in between the 4 knobs, I kinda figured it was aftermarket but is that the stock coil tap switch yall speak of?
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Yeah the switch is factory because it's routed for it.
      70's and 80's L.P's do something to me I love em.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

good price for a Norlin Era Lester
        http://www.youtube.com/6StringMoFo

Comment

Oh wow, and here I thought it was added. Its a shame the guitar was so expensive... they wanted $2000, and it was a factory 2nd, had pretty much no frets left, some decent players wear and the neck looked to have been reset. It needed work, but Id have snatched it up for $1000 just because I wanted it that bad. Was the trans wine red too.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

The Norlin era Les Pauls get a bad rep from many yet tons of good music has been recorded with them. That includes a certain cream colored 74 Les Paul Custom pancake played by that Rodney Rhodes guy or something
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

I bought a 74 Les Paul standard sunburst early this year.It is by far the best LP I have ever owned. Pancake body and all.The thing holds notes like it has a sustainer in it.The pups are very vintage output and feedback a bit too much, but damn I'm sure I could not get a better sound from anything else.It also has a factory brass nut, since all standards were custom shop back then you just ordered whatever you wanted.Not a bad weight either although after playing it with my band for a few hours I do needs some Doans back bills..HA
              H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mr426 View Post
                I bought a 74 Les Paul standard sunburst early this year.It is by far the best LP I have ever owned. Pancake body and all.The thing holds notes like it has a sustainer in it.The pups are very vintage output and feedback a bit too much, but damn I'm sure I could not get a better sound from anything else.It also has a factory brass nut, since all standards were custom shop back then you just ordered whatever you wanted.Not a bad weight either although after playing it with my band for a few hours I do needs some Doans back bills..HA
                One of my Les Pauls is a 2003 Midnight Manhattan Blue that weighs 12.3 lbs! While not a Norlin era LP, it is my heaviest guitar by far! I don't mind the weight though and have gigged it a few times. I did get one of the recently released Randy Rhoads Les Paul signature guitars, the VOS version, and thats a pancake body. Its a bright sounding guitar thats for sure. The neck feel is absolutely fantastic on it as well.
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

You actually paid 7 grand for a pancaked guitar? Based on one of Randy Rhoads less iconic guitars? To each their own I guess. I kinda liked it until I saw the price tag. I think Alex Skolnick put it best in his recent article about the Firebird X. He basically said that the market for a Randy Rhoads Les Paul is small enough, a price jacked up like that will just alienate a lot of potential buyers. I didn't know that they pancaked it, but I guess it has to be identical if it's going to be a signature.

Comment

The other guitarist in my band just bought one of those new les Pauls with the weight relief.It is much lighter and a great looking guitar, but I really do love the smooth tone of my 74. I do like some of the features his has, but $3200 for it was a bit steep. I did not even come close to that for my 74...
                    H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
                      You actually paid 7 grand for a pancaked guitar? Based on one of Randy Rhoads less iconic guitars? To each their own I guess. I kinda liked it until I saw the price tag. I think Alex Skolnick put it best in his recent article about the Firebird X. He basically said that the market for a Randy Rhoads Les Paul is small enough, a price jacked up like that will just alienate a lot of potential buyers. I didn't know that they pancaked it, but I guess it has to be identical if it's going to be a signature.
                      No, I did not get the one for $7K. You're thinking of the Aged Randy Rhoads model, those are the accurately relic'd type models. The VOS is Gibsons lightly aged RR model. They made 100 Aged and 200 VOS models.
                      I respect Alex Skolnik as a killer guitar player and agree with him pretty much on the Firebird X disaster. However, I do disagree with him on the Sig models. Some of those Sig model Les Pauls have increased in value a great amount in a short period of time. The Rhoads Les Paul is one of the cheaper sig models they've put out and I believe these will be going up in value after they're sold out. VOS Rhoads model is in the same price range as Gibson's Historic Les Pauls.
                      And btw, Rhoads' Les Paul is pretty iconic. I like his Jacksons better but every guitar he had was iconic
                      Last edited by roodyrocker; 12-12-2010, 07:00 PM.
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                      X