Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I may trade a Soloist (no, I'm not a traitor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I may trade a Soloist (no, I'm not a traitor)

As I mentioned in the other thread, I've been getting SG fever in a major way lately. I went to Guitar Center this evening to try out the Standard and the '61 Reissue. I can see why everyone loves the '61; the feel is awesome. However, I like the pups better in the Standard plus it's $800.00 cheaper and the neck is similar or the same.

I have three USA Soloists, one of which is an SL1 in Black Ghost Flames. They had offered me $650.00 against a used Rhoads recently and I walked. But.... I'm thinking about trading it in. I also have an Ibanez Artcore which they offered $200.00 on recently. So if I can swing $850.00 between them, it'll be within the range I'm willing to spend at the moment.

I wouldn't normally even dream of trading a Jackson against a Gibson, but this is my least played USA.

Insights?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

USA soloist for a SG standard? You're crazy. GAS is GAS, that I know, but you'd be getting ripped off. I see those around weekly for about 800-1100 used. In stores here they sell them for like 1299$

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
      USA soloist for a SG standard? You're crazy. GAS is GAS, that I know, but you'd be getting ripped off. I see those around weekly for about 800-1100 used. In stores here they sell them for like 1299$
      Yeah. I just played one of my Soloists (not the one I would trade).

Never mind....

Comment

Not a trade to make, unless you like guitars with flexy necks that won't stay in tune... And $650??? If you need an SG that bad, SELL your soloist, don't trade it to those douchenozzles.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
          Not a trade to make, unless you like guitars with flexy necks that won't stay in tune... And $650??? If you need an SG that bad, SELL your soloist, don't trade it to those douchenozzles.
          You're right, and I wouldn't have even considered it if I didn't have three USA's already. The SG's definitely don't stay in tune like the Soloists, but that's probably because of the lack of a Floyd.

So I'm starting a new thread! Yippee!!!!

Comment

$650 trade-in offer for a USA Soloist is insulting. GC's going to mark it up to $1000 and probaly get it, so if they can't cough up at least $900 for it, screw 'em.

Put yours on Ebay with an $800 BIN and just swap the funds over for an SG.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'm not a Gibson fan. The last one I owned was an SG, and when I tried a Model 4 it was all over.

That said, Gibsons are good guitars. If it's worth it to you, why not? No one, I don't think, ever breaks even buying and selling guitars. So what if you take a loss...if the SG does it for you, I'd say go for it. Especially since you already have a couple other soloists.

I bought a 52ri tele a few years ago, just for a change and because I had the money. Change can be good, if nothing else it may help you appreciate your other guitars a little more. It did me, LOL!

Comment

I'm now looking into an SLSMG. I've had time to sit around and come to my senses. Yes, the SG feels nice but I just don't see it being any better than a Jackson, even a decent Jackson import.

I honestly think Gibson lives more off of their name than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  $650 trade-in offer for a USA Soloist is insulting. GC's going to mark it up to $1000 and probaly get it, so if they can't cough up at least $900 for it, screw 'em.

Put yours on Ebay with an $800 BIN and just swap the funds over for an SG.
                  I agree and that's why I walked the last time. I bought my SL2H in the same GC for $1149.00. It had been there for months and started at $1800.00 and some change.

Comment

Yeah I've actually made money on most of my trades and buys. I bought a lot of Professional and made easy 100-300$ more on each. I bought a Gibson Les Paul studio + for around 900$ which i then traded for 74' Fender Strat that i then sold for 1600$. Plus that doesn't make sense. If one guy isn't breaking even on the trade, then by logic the other guy is getting a deal. Used to used, I'd evaluate an SG standard at 1200$ TOPS and a Soloist at 1700$ TOPS (let's be conservative anyways). Theres still a 500$ gap, and 500$ can get you some nice gear. IF he really wants one, he should do like another poster said and sell one. Buy an SG and have some nice change there. The craftsmanship of his US Soloist far outweight that of the Gibson. If you could establish a value based on quality, appeal and overall value, the Soloist would still outweight the SG. There are tons of SG's around. Gibson pumps them out like nothing. If you want a nice SG, invest in some built in mid 80's to 90's. The last 10 years have been hit and miss with Gibson. I'd much rather have a nice Epiphone and upgrade the hardware than a gibson. I like the idea of a Gibson, but i buy it for looks and realize no matter how much i tweek around with it, it never satisfies me. I've had a couple, my friends have had a lot. The best ones I've played other than the odd 60's model (which are great but i don't count due to insane value and low availability) are some mid 80's LP customs. Those are AMAZING guitars. It's hard to explain. There's one on sale in the ad section that I would have bought on spot if I had some loose change. I would buy that and never sell it. They may not have the value of their ancestors, but you can throw em' around and play em' like the world is on fire. They feel and sound fantastic and they are the pinnacle of Gibsons modern achievement on their old guitars. Now adays, they poke em' full of holes to reduce weight and create ''Tonal Chambers'' bullshit. I like em heavy and made of a good slab of wood. Drilling holes to modify acoustic properties is just an excuse not to use quality wood. If i am lucky 1 of every 10 gibsons I play sound decent.

I know it's a rant lol. I don't hate Gibson. I love them, but their Guitars do not carry on their legacy well. Unless you want some piece of shit loaded with self tuning crap. Your guitar will feel poorly crafted next to a signature Epiphone, but with the touch of a button, it will tune itself. OMG yay. So don't unload your USA's yet. Shop carefully for that SG. Sg's are fun guitars to have. They feel weird because of that big ol' neck and the tiny pancake body, but it's still fun to play. It's kinda like an old 30's car. You drive it on the week ends and you shine it. If you want to hang with the big boys, you stick to your Muscle Cars.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                      I'm now looking into an SLSMG. I've had time to sit around and come to my senses. Yes, the SG feels nice but I just don't see it being any better than a Jackson, even a decent Jackson import.

The last two solid-body Gibsons I have played have disappointed me. However, I played an ES-175 that slayed.
                      I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post

Well, you can get the "Jackson SG" in the form of an SLS3 - big neck, thin body, all mahogany, and better inlays than the MG. I happen to know where you can get one for a decent price
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          Well, you can get the "Jackson SG" in the form of an SLS3 - big neck, thin body, all mahogany, and better inlays than the MG. I happen to know where you can get one for a decent price
                          I just looked up the specs and the neck dimensions are the same as the SLSMG. Besides, I'm ready for some EMG's again.

Comment

Myself, I'd do as Newc suggests but also pay particular attention to Gibsons between 87 and 96....they're well-built and used without having to pay GC a fortune
                            Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                            98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
                              Yeah I've actually made money on most of my trades and buys. I bought a lot of Professional and made easy 100-300$ more on each. I bought a Gibson Les Paul studio + for around 900$ which i then traded for 74' Fender Strat that i then sold for 1600$. Plus that doesn't make sense. If one guy isn't breaking even on the trade, then by logic the other guy is getting a deal. Used to used, I'd evaluate an SG standard at 1200$ TOPS and a Soloist at 1700$ TOPS (let's be conservative anyways). Theres still a 500$ gap, and 500$ can get you some nice gear. IF he really wants one, he should do like another poster said and sell one. Buy an SG and have some nice change there. The craftsmanship of his US Soloist far outweight that of the Gibson. If you could establish a value based on quality, appeal and overall value, the Soloist would still outweight the SG. There are tons of SG's around. Gibson pumps them out like nothing. If you want a nice SG, invest in some built in mid 80's to 90's. The last 10 years have been hit and miss with Gibson. I'd much rather have a nice Epiphone and upgrade the hardware than a gibson. I like the idea of a Gibson, but i buy it for looks and realize no matter how much i tweek around with it, it never satisfies me. I've had a couple, my friends have had a lot. The best ones I've played other than the odd 60's model (which are great but i don't count due to insane value and low availability) are some mid 80's LP customs. Those are AMAZING guitars. It's hard to explain. There's one on sale in the ad section that I would have bought on spot if I had some loose change. I would buy that and never sell it. They may not have the value of their ancestors, but you can throw em' around and play em' like the world is on fire. They feel and sound fantastic and they are the pinnacle of Gibsons modern achievement on their old guitars. Now adays, they poke em' full of holes to reduce weight and create ''Tonal Chambers'' bullshit. I like em heavy and made of a good slab of wood. Drilling holes to modify acoustic properties is just an excuse not to use quality wood. If i am lucky 1 of every 10 gibsons I play sound decent.

I know it's a rant lol. I don't hate Gibson. I love them, but their Guitars do not carry on their legacy well. Unless you want some piece of shit loaded with self tuning crap. Your guitar will feel poorly crafted next to a signature Epiphone, but with the touch of a button, it will tune itself. OMG yay. So don't unload your USA's yet. Shop carefully for that SG. Sg's are fun guitars to have. They feel weird because of that big ol' neck and the tiny pancake body, but it's still fun to play. It's kinda like an old 30's car. You drive it on the week ends and you shine it. If you want to hang with the big boys, you stick to your Muscle Cars.

Fender,

You always have lots of advice I just can't find a toilet large enough to flush it all down
                              Last edited by DonP; 11-28-2010, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X