Decent competition for Warmoth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent competition for Warmoth?

So since putting my Vantage V back together, I'm poking through Warmoth's V options.

However, I'm greatly displeased with not being able to get a 12"-16" radius, and they won't offer a Floyd nut option (not even cutting a shelf) with just the 16" radius. And then there's the lack of a true 24 fret bolt-on neck.

Does anyone compete with Warmoth? I know AllParts has stuff, but what about Chandler? Are they still around? Does anyone compete in the online-sale arena (not intereted in paper forms or phone calls)?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

If not a V, I would have said Musikraft, but they don't do a V-style headstock. That being said, you can get their uncut tilt-back headstock and do the V-style yourself if you're into that. They should be able to meet all of your other specs other than true 24 fret...but I don't know of anyone that does them other than custom builders.

KNE just started making necks, but they also don't have an option for a V-style headstock and all of their other neck options are pretty limited.

Comment

Yeah, most places I've found adhere to the Gibson LP/SG and/or Fender Strat/Tele designs. Though I'm not totally opposed to a V with an LP head. A Strathead on a roundhorn V migh not be too bad - it worked for dude from Helloween
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

You could probably do the straight 16" and cut the Floyd shelf yourself. Use the existing nut slot as the front edge so your nut is placed correctly. It's a pretty simple jig and you don't need an expensive router or anything, you can even just hand-cut it if you're really careful to keep the "fret side" of the nut slot exactly where it is.

Have you tried the 10-16" or are you just turned off by the degree of radius at the nut "on paper"? It really doesn't feel all that different than a Charvel/Jackson compound radius neck to me.

I really don't know anyone else that does the V headstock or even not considering that, anyone that competes with Warmoth as far as online "click and buy" ordering.
        Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 11-26-2010, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
          You could probably do the straight 16" and cut the Floyd shelf yourself.

Use the existing nut slot as the front edge so your nut is placed correctly. It's a pretty simple jig and you don't need an expensive router or anything, you can even just hand-cut it if you're really careful to keep the "fret side" of the nut slot exactly where it is.
          :ROTF:

You mean you haven't seen my work? :p

The 10-16" radius seems to put the Es closer to the frets than the center strings to me. I can get the outer strings the perfect height but the middles feel a bit high. If I get the middles perfect, the outers are too low.

Comment

I'd say if the mass-produced options like Musikraft and Warmoth aren't compatible, that guitar is totalled! Luthiers will build necks to any specs of course, but you'll be north of a grand.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              I'd say if the mass-produced options like Musikraft and Warmoth aren't compatible, that guitar is totalled! Luthiers will build necks to any specs of course, but you'll be north of a grand.
              If you don't mind waiting, talk to Sully about a custom build...I've got one in the works with him...and it won't cost you nearly that

Comment

Sup?

John at DOBERMAN Guitars

MOSHON
                DAVE
                "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

I'm not looking for a neck for my Vantage, I'm looking at an entire guitar.

I got yer message Dave -I sent John a message. Wiik forum software limits me to 1000 charcaters - I was up to 3500

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post

:ROTF:

You mean you haven't seen my work? :p

The 10-16" radius seems to put the Es closer to the frets than the center strings to me. I can get the outer strings the perfect height but the middles feel a bit high. If I get the middles perfect, the outers are too low.

OK, OK... I hear you about the action issue. On the 10-16" I do shim the Floyd saddles to flatten out the radius because of that. I just get the Allparts shims and use four under each of the E's and two under each of the A/B string saddles which puts it at around a 19" radius. They set up really nice like that and I don't mind the flatness, but you might.

If you've got anyone who you could trust do do a peghead I guess the Musikraft paddle-head would be your best bet for a 12-16" radius for cheap. Maybe you could get Sully to cut you a peghead? :dunno:

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                      If you've got anyone who you could trust do do a peghead I guess the Musikraft paddle-head would be your best bet for a 12-16" radius for cheap. Maybe you could get Sully to cut you a peghead? :dunno:
                      Thanks for the recommendation, but if I were cutting a peghead, it'd have to be an original (non-trademarked) design. Sully no want no legal hassles.
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'm going to trademark the paddle-shaped headstock... I'll make a killing.

Comment

Nice! Then you'd get cease and desist letters from paddle manufacturers!
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Damn, I knew there was something I was missing...

Comment

Working...
                            X