Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! What is this Guitar, looks and plays sweet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! What is this Guitar, looks and plays sweet.

I just looking into this guitar for a trade, for a tube amp I got, I never heard of this brand ever, it plays well, can someone tell me anything about it and maybe whats it worth??

Its a Guitar made by Robin, reverse headstock, 24 fret, cream colored neck thru, liacensed floyd rose, H-S-S pickups.
    Last edited by Nezgual; 09-27-2010, 09:18 AM.
    I love guitars, Always have and always will.

Robins are awesome guitars some are USA made and some are import.That I think is an import.
    That is an arch top so I'd say $500.00
    Very nice looker I'd buy it.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Tuning keys says made in japan

Comment

Tuning keys says made in japan
        Probably gotoh tuners which come on a lot of usa made J/Cs

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
          Probably gotoh tuners which come on a lot of usa made J/Cs
          Jackson charvel would use Gotoh tuners MIJ on USA Models??? Im wondering if this guitar is USA made
          could it be custom??? I was surfing the net and cant find a Neck thru
          Last edited by Nezgual; 09-27-2010, 05:25 PM.

Comment

It has no made in Texas sticker on the back of the headstock so I'm guessing import.
            Yes J/C used Gotoh tuners MIJ all the time.
            Looks like a Takeguchi trem too.
            I'm sure the guitar is killer every Robin I've had was.
            Last edited by straycat; 09-28-2010, 09:22 AM.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

It's definitely an import, pre 90'.
              They're supposedly very nice, just not as nice as the USA models.

IIRC they were made by ESP at the time over in Japan.
              I'd say $600 tops for a mint example.
              Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
              Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

Sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  It has no made in Texas sticker on the back of the headstock so I'm guessing import.
                  Yes J/C used Gotoh tuners MIJ all the time.
                  Looks like a Takeguchi trem too.
                  I'm sure the guitar is killer every Robin I've had was.
                  Liacense floyd rose and it says robin on it as well. I brought this guitar down to my local guitar dealer here, crazy thing happened. he has this same exact guitar in his shop, serial number is consecutive made right before mine was. He says its US made custom made cuz of the arched body and neck thru. I really dont know, all i know is that it plays well. They have a price tag of 950 on thier Robin used and alittle beat up. maybe it is maybe it isnt, I think i got a great deal trading a Crate blue voodoo 60 combo for it.

Comment

You definitely made out good on that deal.

Here is a link where David Wintz talks about Tokai being the first ghost builders, then ESP, before they started the Texas production along with many catalogs to show the transition also.

http://robinguitars.com/history.html
                    Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
                    Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

I sincerely wish I could get my hands on a Robin. SOOOOOO beautiful, they're always on my mind.

Comment

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO its a USA MODEL, Before 1987 all robins where made in Japan and had a seal under the finish..........

(In around 1985 Robin introduced another mainstay model, the long-standing Medley Series. The Medley was perhaps Wintz's favorite design of the period. This was a genuine superstrat, with the squarish shape of the Ranger, with thinner, pointed horns, plus the reverse blade headstock. Pickups were the soon-to-be conventional hum/sing/sing, with a coil tap, although some examples are seen with three single-coils, two humbuckers, and even a few with a humbucker/single/humbucker arrangement. Medleys had a two-octave fingerboard and a Kahler as standard gear. Two models were offered. The Standard was made of ash with a bolt-on neck and dot-inlaid rosewood fingerboard. The Custom had a bound, carved mahogany body with a set-in neck, bound ebony fingerboard, and triangle inlays. By the way, the very first shipment of Medleys had a "Made in Japan " sticker on the back of the neck under the finish. These were covered over with a "Custom Made" sticker that was sealed with a shot of clear coat. Like the Ranger, the Medley would continue to be a part of the Robin line to this day. .) <---copyed from robin site in plus in 85 the medley had a kahler trem from factory

this guitar has a robin floyd rose which it says from site .............(The first American Robins were the Medley Custom-TX series, the TX meaning they were assembled in Texas , of course.

A word of caution about American-made Robin guitars. Japanese-made Robins are pretty consistent in terms of details. However, from the beginning of U.S. production, Robin operated a custom shop. This meant that just about any feature you wanted could be had, including custom graphics. This means you can expect to find just about any variation on a Robin, and it's probably Kosher.

The new Medley Custom TXs had Robin's now-typical squarish "Strat-style" body with pointed horns and neck-through construction. Necks had two-octave fingerboards and came with your choice of the trademark reverse blade headstock or a new split or winged four-and-two shape. All in the catalog had locking Floyd Rose systems. Wintz gave some of the various models names such as Deluxe, House and Sport, but no details are available on which was which. We do know that models came with either bound or unbound flamed maple carved tops over mahogany or a solid wood, probably ash. Fingerboards were mainly rosewood bound with triangle inlays, bound with dots, or unbound with dots. Pickup options included regulation hum/sing/sing, hum/sing/hum, and a single humbucker, at least. )

therfore Im pretty sure this is a USA guitar, check out site http://www.robinguitars.com/history.html

Comment

What's on the back of the headstock? Looks like a Robin USA 6-digit serial number. Their numbers had the first two digits as the year, then the next four represented the number of guitars built that year.

The early USA Robins (especially the neck thrus) didn't always have 'Made in USA' on the headstock and the 'texas state shaped' USA logo on the rear of the headstock was also missing.

This ebay auction shows the 'made in USA' on the headstock and the texas logo on the back of the headstock, but more importantly to this discussion, note the serial number 901376, this means the 1376th guitar made in 1990. Note the destinctive font shape and bold-ness of the serial number. All USA Robins have this type font.
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/Robin-Rider-Six-...item3f038c236e

If what I think I see in your pictures is a very similar 6-digit number in this same font, then the first two numbers will tell you the year it was made, but more importantly to you, should signify USA built.

I have 17 Robins...very excellent guitars!

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
                            What's on the back of the headstock? Looks like a Robin USA 6-digit serial number. Their numbers had the first two digits as the year, then the next four represented the number of guitars built that year.

The early USA Robins (especially the neck thrus) didn't always have 'Made in USA' on the headstock and the 'texas state shaped' USA logo on the rear of the headstock was also missing.

This ebay auction shows the 'made in USA' on the headstock and the texas logo on the back of the headstock, but more importantly to this discussion, note the serial number 901376, this means the 1376th guitar made in 1990. Note the destinctive font shape and bold-ness of the serial number. All USA Robins have this type font.
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/Robin-Rider-Six-...item3f038c236e

If what I think I see in your pictures is a very similar 6-digit number in this same font, then the first two numbers will tell you the year it was made, but more importantly to you, should signify USA built.

I have 17 Robins...very excellent guitars!

serial number is 901074 which it was made in 1990 and usa built right?

Comment

Working...
                            X