NGD!!!! les paul junior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD!!!! les paul junior

ever since i sold my usa hamer special last year i have been missing a P90 equipped guitar. so i have been on the look out for a cheap alternative, since i RARELY played the hamer.
    anyway, i played about 8 of the little, cheapo epiphone les paul juniors - the ones for $129. i came across this little bad boy and was blown away!!!! the fit and finish is flawless - the neck pocket is tight - the fretwork is STUNNING, and the hardware is more than functional. shit, even the stock pickup sounded awesome. i played it through several fender amps (deluxe reissue, super-sonic, blues jr) and was pleased all the way around.

the only bummer is that they come with humbuckers. that's ok, because i have several gibson P94T pickups!!!! i got this little guy home and instantly gutted the electronics and put in the P94 and new CTS 500K pots. i swapped the cheap, black speed knobs for vintage SG-style knobs, and here it is:

i am really surprised at how good this guitar plays and feels. it sounds KILLER, too, with the P94T....has that throaty bite that a P90 should have when wound a tiny bit hotter than normal. this guitar is going to be perfect for those times i need to use a gritty, fat tone. hahaha, if i roll back the tone and set my rivera up to be a little more plexi-ish, i can cop the old leslie west sound easily!!!

damn, a chinese squier tele and a chinese epiphone in one year....

(sorry for the kinda blurry pic - bought a new camera today too...i am still learning its threshold for vibration)
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Nice studio setup you've got there!

Comment

Those kick ass, deff look at the set neck versions with P-90's.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Nice looking Jr, the fretboard also looks real dark, nice score!

Comment

Cool. I love cheap, simple, rockin guitars.

Comment

thanks all!!! it is quite a shocker at how good this one is. don't get me wrong...i did play some turds as well.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

DAAAAAMN, an Epi Les Paul Junior I actually like!! :|

Comment

Funny, my guitarist just showed up with one in a burst finish and P90, last night, that needed a jack swap. I gotta say, I kinda dig the little fella. After I swap the jack out for him, tonight, I think I'll set it up and dial it in for him a little better. I have no problem rockin' an Epi, I just hate those damned headstocks! They always look jacked up, to me, with the ends clipped like that.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

i hate the clipped headstock also. it has ALWAYS prevented me from getting one...
                  GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

If Epiphone ever makes a Les Paul special/DC, I'll have to get one.

Comment

i am actually looking at eastwood guitars' double cut. it looks like a nice guitar and it costs 399.
                      GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Nice looking Jr! I love a good sounding P90 in a guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
                          If Epiphone ever makes a Les Paul special/DC, I'll have to get one.
                          You mean like this?:

Or a two pickup like this?:

I'd love either one. and for some reason, I really dig the Wilshires, too, in white.
                          Last edited by Racerx2k; 09-10-2010, 05:56 PM.
                          I'm not Ron!

Comment

The P94 in the bridge sounds killer, I might throw one in my SG.
                            Ratt & Roll

Comment

Damn you...LOL!

Comment

Working...
                              X