Weekend projects... A few weekends worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend projects... A few weekends worth

Here's a couple of things I've been working on that aren't Charvels or Jacksons.

So, I built an H/S hardtail Strat a while back. The Bubinga neck wasn't as warm a tone as expected, and the Wolfgang profile is "weird thick" - it's assymetrical and huge on the bass side, I didn't care for it much. I shaved it down a bit and it's better, but that obviously did not a lot for the tone.

So anyway, without further rambling, here it is H/S Hardtail Part Deux and a Half:

Specs:
    - Mahogany body
    - Goncalo Alves neck (no finish), 1-piece, truss rod adjust at head, 1-5/8" nut width, 10 - 16" compound radius, 61GD frets
    - Graph Tech nut
    - Hipshot Hardtail Bridge with Graph Tech Saddles (the stock saddles are too short to use with the Warmoth "Narrow Strat hardtail" setup)
    - TB-5 at the bridge
    - Hot Stack at the neck, reverse polarity (out of phase w/bridge)
    - 3-way blade

I did have to "help" the string-through holes line up with the Hip Shot bridge a little, and the outer bridge mounting screw holes are off by about .01", not enough that it actually matters once you screw them down (obviously it is centered by the center screw.)

The new neck really warmed up the tone, which was the goal of the re-vamp, plus the Hip Shot bridge is really nice and the saddles are held firmly in place, they don't squirm around like your typical Strat bridge.

And then, I finished this up last weekend. I've been playing it a lot:

Specs:
    - Swamp Ash body in Seafoam Green, recessed Floyd route
    - Korina neck with Ebony fingerboard, 61GD frets, Floyd prep with rear mount, clear gloss (poly) finish
    - Dimarzio F-spaced Tone Zone bridge/Air Norton neck pickups, cream
    - CTS 500K pot with treble bleed cap

This one sounds really good, too - just a little brighter acoustically than the single-hum with the Korina neck, but with the Tone Zone being a little darker, it sounds really good. Plus when you roll the volume off, it gets this "cocked wah" kind of tone that is really great for a moderately overdriven rhythm tone, and then when you crank the volume, it fattens up really nice for lead.

Those are fantastic
    Drive Fast Cars & Play Cool Guitars!!!

Comment

Sweet!
      Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Sweet rides!
        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

both awesome!
          Hail yesterday

Comment

both are winners...nice stuff...
            www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
            My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Thanks!

After I loved the single-hum Warmoth so much I was kinda disappointed with the hardtail the way I had it. But, it's great now. I could have done without the Hip Shot bridge but the new neck really made all the difference in the tone, and I think it looks better, too.

Comment

Love the hardtail

Love the hardtail. Looks great!

Comment

Nice.......
                  Charvel CST 060 1992
                  Charvel CST 070 1992
                  Charvel CDS 090 1993
                  Gibson Les Paul Standard 1993
                  Gibson Les Paul DC 2007
                  Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2013
                  Gibson Les Paul Classic 1999
                  Duesenberg 49er 2012
                  Duesenberg V-Caster 2007
                  Duesenberg Starcaster 2006
                  History TH-LS Limited 2009
                  History SH-LSV 2010

Comment

Both look great.Nice job.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Couldn't leave well enough alone I guess, but it's the weekend.

So, I have been noodling around with the idea that I don't like the white pickups in the hardtail. Couple that with the fact that, now that I have the Goncalo Alves neck, it's VERY warm sounding, and the Custom isn't the best pickup for it.

So, I decided to try a JB and a Classic Stack that had been taken out of my SL1.

The JB actually sounds great in there. I put a treble bleed capacitor (no resistor) on it like I did on the Seafoam Green and also the Classic Stack is using a 500K pot w/ capacitor. If you roll the volume off on the neck pickup it's fairly bright, which I like, great clean tone, and the bridge pickup cuts through now, where the Custom was a little muddy... Which was a first. I've never had the Custom not sound really great, except for in my SL1, which I discovered today (duh) was due to the 250K tone pot.

I don't do tone controls so, I'm kinda new to how much they can actually affect the sound, even when they're up all the way. :dunno:

Comment

It's funny how the right JB can make the guitar. Cool!
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

JB's are a fine pick up.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                          X