NDD (New Drumset Day)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDD (New Drumset Day)

Installed the latest addition to the music room this weekend - a six piece Tama Superstar HyperDrive drum set with a satin cherry burst laquer finish.

I don't play drums (yet...), but I needed a kit so I can have jam nights at my place. The Tamas seemed like a nice mid-range kit. Comes with very nice hardware (cast rims, Tama RoadPro series stands) and the satin cherry burst finish is gorgeous.

It was quite the education putting the kit together. The two small toms and the snare came assembled, but everything else was in pieces. I told my wife it would be like someone who never played guitar getting a guitar in pieces, and then having to assemble, string, and tune it up. I was a bit lost, but it came with a DVD on how to assemble everything. I did a rough tuning, but need my buddy to come over and tweak it in, and show me how to do it.

I bought the crash off of ebay (Sabian Paragon 18" crash), hi-hats from the bay as well (Sabian Paragon 14") which should show up tomorrow, and still need to buy a ride (likely a Zildijan K Dark 20").

I'm pretty stoked, as are my two daughters. I showed my oldest (11) the basics of holding down a beat on the cymbal and snare; will help her add the kick later this week. Not that I really know what I'm doing, but I'll get there.

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

very cool! that's a great colour.

I picked up a beginner's kit a while back so that I can learn. I've become the go-to guy at soundcheck while the drummer is checking his levels out front. Having the kit has made my place a semi-regular practice space because it saves our drummer having to lug any gear. He has actually been quite impressed with it too - sounds good with a tune & change of heads, has good maple shells, so it should be a solid platform to upgrade in time. Certainly enough for my needs anyway.

Nice wide drumriser you have there. The whole band could do split kicks off that!
    Hail yesterday

Comment

The room used to be a theater, so I elevated the rear row of seating. I still have the projector and screen up, but got rid of all of the seats to make room for gear.

Priorities change over time.

This kit is birch. Shorter-depth toms than the standard Superstars, supposed to accentuate the attack. I figured more attack, less boom was good for a smallish room like mine.

- E.

Comment

When can I come over?
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          When can I come over?
          Anytime, Ron!

- E.

Comment

Very nice kit, that color is awesome.

Comment

Working...
            X