Early 80's Jay Black guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early 80's Jay Black guitar

Got this one today at the Cinci Ohio guitar show.
    Jay Black who is a master builder at Fender had a line called Ludikris Guitars
    Way back in the 80's before he went to Fender.
    He built 20-30 guitars with the Ludikris name.
    There is a mate to this one in blue out there somewhere.
    Mahogony body flame maple top/binding loaded with old Duncans a 59N and DC-M B.and an non marked single in the middle.
    Neck is a outrageous flame maple with a rosewood board and a strat head.
    The trem is a Double Eagle which is brass under the chrome.A short lived copy of a rockinger.
    I received a paper that this was purched from a Kansas City player named Joe Payne in the late 80's
    Here are some pics

This guitar HAS seen a lot of gigging so all the wear is the real deal.
    Finish checking galore every where.

Last edited by straycat; 03-28-2010, 10:04 PM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Cool.Nice grab......................
    Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Wow, sweet guitar. I'm a sucker for flamed maple necks. One of the Peavey Nitros I picked up has a little flame, but nothing like that.

Comment

I had a nitro at the show just never pulled it out.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
          I had a nitro at the show just never pulled it out.
          Is it the black one with the H-S-S pickups? I saw the picture of that one.

I picked up one Nitro in Nashville, and one a month later in Cinci. They are twins. Serial number is off by 10 (03445905 vs. 03445915, I think). Both black, single hum with a rosewood fretboard.

Comment

Yes I did show one guy but he had already bought two so I didn't push him on the nitro.

Comment

I'd heard Jay's name before but not that Ludikris name. That's a pretty wild find, nonetheless.

Is the trem system missing some parts? From that angled shot of the headstock, it looked like it might be missing some parts for the locking nut and/or string retainer bar. Did someone maybe convert it back to a regular nut?

By the way, I can't believe anyone built a copy of a Rockinger. I bought a Rockinger back in the day because I couldn't afford a Floyd. About all I can about the Rockinger is that I should have saved up more for the Floyd.
              Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

The trem is complete but the neck has a Floyd nut on it.I may remove the trem and put a V trem on it.
                The scale length is off a little I think so it needs a lot of work to get it back up to snuff.
                The body has had several necks on it over the years so who knows if others had made changes to it.I'll get back in shape no problem.
                Last edited by straycat; 03-31-2010, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Had another neck laying here with tuners on it and cut to fit a tele body same as on this guitar (square neck pocket) so checked the scale length and just like the other neck off by 1/4 in.This neck cannot be original to this body so it being a Jay Black guitar I think not as screwed up as it is.
                  So I moved the bridge back 1/4 in and strung it up,set the intonation.Fixed some of the wiring as needed and wowzers killer beater for sure.
                  Lots of beef in this guitar.
                  The old Duncan 59 and Duncan distortion pickups kick ass, the single is mellow in an SRV way which is good.
                  The wiring is a mess and it will get an rs pot upgrade kit in time but really glad I picked this POS guitar up.
                  Pulled the trem out just to check and low and behold its a German made Rockinger not a copy as stated by the paperwork I got with it.
                  I'll re-fret the old neck and ditch the floyd nut and find an old Kahler nut with a lower profile.

Comment

Working...
                  X