Value of a Gibson Flying V?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value of a Gibson Flying V?

Any Gibson experts here that might now what a Flying V like this is worth? The seller claims it is a 1981 model. Please see attachment for pictures.
    Attached Files

im not an expert..
    definetly a nice color on a v
    id say low side 1,200 high side 1,500
    because the color is not common on that year
    but again im not an expert

Comment

A few years ago I watched early 80's V's and Explorers go on ebay for $600-$800. They certainly aren't worth more than that.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

you may be right
        this one just looks special
        i dont know why

Comment

Thanks for the input. Don't really have any knowledge vintage older Gibson guitars, except that some of them reach way to high prices.

The seller wants NOK 15000, which is about USD 2500 so I guess that's way to much even in Norway. But I do like the looks of the V with the smaller and matching headstock, but I guess I'll have better luck on ebay..

Comment

Hey, I had one of those in that color, it was a reissue if I remember correctly, but I don't remember what year it was reissue of but it was reissued in 1981. I bought it in 82 or 83. I loved that guitar! I wish I had kept it, but I ended up having to sell it. It had a great neck, small but very comfortable. I do remember reading a few months ago that those particular V's were worth a lot. You can check out the Flying V website for more information, it's http://www.flying-v.ch . Hope that helps.

Mark

Comment

That V is a late 70's / early 80's. You can see that it has the raised neck and fretboard and has a thin 1-3/8" thick body. These particular models had no neck angle, so to account for the hieght of the bridge, the body was thinned. I have had many Gibson Vees and this style/year is by far their best playing and sounding guitars - the action on these are just incredible. I have seen these go for $2000-$2300 USD. His price is a bit high, but they are extremely nice guitars. This is definitely not your run of the mill 67' reissue Flying V going for $600-$800 on Ebay. The only Roundhorn V that competes with these is the Jackson Y2KV.
              Here are my 81' Vees - the Fiesta Red is a Refin and the Silverburst is all original

Comment

It sounds like you know your V's ulijdavid Do you think it will be a good deal if I can get the price down a couple hundred bucks?

I haven't seen any close up pictures of the guitar, but accoring to the seller it is in nice condition with a few dents and scratches, but nothing major. And a missing volum control.

He has also listed it twice, so I guess the response hasn't been the best. Might push the price down even further.
                Last edited by BK; 03-23-2010, 04:32 PM.

Comment

If you could get it for between $1800-$2000 you would be getting a pretty good deal. He knows what he's got, but the market sucks right now. $2200 would probably be fair as long as there are no issues. I believe I saw a 79' refinish go for $2700? a little while ago.

Comment

wow................ what the hell............. a few years back, I found a 1984 Gibson Flying V in a store. I have a friend that is WAY into them. So I called his wife to see if she wanted to buy it for him for christmas as it was early december. so she had already bought for him, but she called his parents and they were looking for a gift. so I lined up the deal. $350 plus $20 shipping. yes, this beast was legit. perfect shape too. had the original bridge, plus the stud post style Kahler trem it came with as well. original case. I thought $350 was a great deal, but by the prices you guys are talkin holy shit! anyway, I had it shipped to me, and I cleaned it up, restrung it, and got it all spolished up and brought it to his house on christmas eve with a note from his folks.
                    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                      A few years ago I watched early 80's V's and Explorers go on ebay for $600-$800. They certainly aren't worth more than that.
                      Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                      wow................ what the hell............. a few years back, I found a 1984 Gibson Flying V in a store. I have a friend that is WAY into them. So I called his wife to see if she wanted to buy it for him for christmas as it was early december. so she had already bought for him, but she called his parents and they were looking for a gift. so I lined up the deal. $350 plus $20 shipping. yes, this beast was legit. perfect shape too. had the original bridge, plus the stud post style Kahler trem it came with as well. original case. I thought $350 was a great deal, but by the prices you guys are talkin holy shit! anyway, I had it shipped to me, and I cleaned it up, restrung it, and got it all spolished up and brought it to his house on christmas eve with a note from his folks.

You guys are looking only at these strictly as a "Gibson Flying V" and nothing else. You have to consider the markets associated with each niche. No one wanted those '83-'84 Kahlered models a few years ago simply because they did not have a pickguard. I picked up a couple for under $500. Then you've got the whole anti-Norlin fanatics that made '70s SG Standards with the rounded block inlays $500 each.

Just like no one wanted them pointy-haired geetars we all come here to celebrate back in 95/96 and were snapping up early-90s USAs and Pros and even San Dimas models for $600 max.

It's a different market today, and those "crapass Norlin-era models" are climbing in value, and we even see Charvel Model models going for what they cost new.

Roundhead Gibson Vs tie directly to Schenker, and that increases value by way of increased demand for hard-to-find features.

You cannot go by what you paid 5 years ago. Those prices do not apply today, and there's no guarantee prices are lower today than they were 5 years ago for anything except computers and cameras.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

aw shit Newc, now you went and ruined my fun.
                        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Oh, come on, $2700, and it's not even shaped like a proper guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            You cannot go by what you paid 5 years ago. Those prices do not apply today, and there's no guarantee prices are lower today than they were 5 years ago for anything except computers and cameras.
                            It's that kind of thinking that drives up the prices! All used guitars - $500 max. That's my final offer.
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

Check out the Ratt video in the artist and gear section - the 79' "block" V that Carlos Cavazo is playing is one of the "Holy Grail" guitars among Gibson Flying V fans. If that were for sale, I could see that in the $3-4K range.
                              Newc is correct about these Vees - I believe most of the guys buying these late 70's / early 80's are in their 40's and have the money to buy the guitars that their hero played - SCHENKER!!! - And a Dean is not a Schenker V.

In closing, this era Gibson Flying V is to Gibson V fans what the Jackson LTD and PCS models are to Jackson/Randy fans.

Comment

Working...
                              X