New Les Paul Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Les Paul Project

Well, in searching around for great deals, I stumbled on this one. This one came from CL and was touted as a Les Paul Studio w/headstock repair. It's a player with many dings and dents but still all stock. I looked at the picture, made an offer and went to pick it up. When I got there, I was shown a 1993 Les Paul studio, black w/ebony board. The guitar wasn't tuned up, but it looked like it had potential. He had an amp, so I plugged it in and started to tune and the headstock started to open up. I showed the buyer the crack and he said that 2 other people looked at it and said it was repaired. At that point, I made a counter offer of my price minus a headstock repair. The buyer declined and I walked. About 10 minutes later, the buyer calls me up on my cell and accepts my offer, so I take it. Here are the pictures - before. Not sure what I want to do with it - fix the neck, refinish the guitar - wine red with a faux maple binding maybe. Otherwise, the guitar is pretty cool, and it has an ebony board. Here you go:

oh SNAP!

Now THIS looks like a situation I'm familiar with!

Sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

At least you have the head stock. I did a 61 SG not too long ago that the guy snapped off the head clean off, and was so pissed on his way home he buzzed the headstock out the window. ...... So I had to rebuild and scarf a new headstock. Yours looks like a breeze. Nicely split with the grain.
      Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
      http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

I just went back to your LP video. Your headstock was much looser, but I opened it up a little more and can now get an inkjet refill syringe in. Should be a piece of cake, eh?

Originally posted by sully View Post
        oh SNAP!

Now THIS looks like a situation I'm familiar with!

Sully

Comment

Fingers crossed!!!

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
          At least you have the head stock. I did a 61 SG not too long ago that the guy snapped off the head clean off, and was so pissed on his way home he buzzed the headstock out the window. ...... So I had to rebuild and scarf a new headstock. Yours looks like a breeze. Nicely split with the grain.

Comment

Yeah dude, just get your "Jed Clamp-it" on. Whatever the hell that is.

Sully
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Cool looks like an easy fix.Great project for a cool refin.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Very cool project. I probably wouldn't even refinish it. I like the way it looks all worn like that.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Yeah, I immediately thought of Sully's LP project when I saw that. Good luck on the repairs.
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

I do believe I'm gonna have to pick myself up a Studio. I just sold my Deluxe, and my Aria LP clone is on the block right now, so my LP GAS will need satisfying.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Had an SG with the EXACT same break...used Tightbond Original diluted with water 5% and warmed up in a double-boiler of sorts, pipetted some into the crack and clamped it up (not too tight - you want SOME of the glue to stay behind! )...wiped off the excess with wet Q-tips and 2 days later it was good as new, almost no witness line from the break...
                      Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Those earlier ebony-board Studios are some of the best bang-for-your buck you can get. A buddy of mine has one virtually identical to yours, and it's hands down the best LP that I've ever encountered.

Comment

nice score, just remember to actually WIRE your guitar so you can play it when you are finished....

*looks a Sully sideways....dude, really?

:-)

Comment

mine's completely playable! I was playing it yesterday! That said, mine's complicated as all hell! and pete is too far away! it's on the short list of stuff to do, i promise!
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

All glued, partially sanded, strung with .010's and tuned to Eb. Not bad for a weekends worth of work. Sounds great thru the Randall. It needs a fret job or new frets. Gonna strip and either make it wine red or alpine white...

Comment

Working...
                              X