Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Hamer February 2010

Story is Dantzig is gone.
    Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
    98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Yup, Jol got his walking papers this week. Such a shame because Hamers are really nice guitars, especially the 80's shredders. I'm sure that Jol will come back on his own. Now we will see a super price increase on Jol era Hamers!!!

Comment

I doubt it any time soon although it's always possible. You have over 30 years worth of axes where at least one founder was involved.

One thing is for sure though IMHO. They aren't Hamers any more. They're now a brand name with no personal pride or interest attached.

Funny how FMIC always wants to rid themselves of people who actually know what they're doing in order to keep everyone flying in the same mundane, vanilla, mediocre direction.

Profitability by manipulation rather than by performance. That's why there will always be a place for people like Lee Garver, David Schecter, Tom Anderson, Wayne Charvel, Grover Jackson, Jol Dantzig, etc.

Fender would rather have nitwits as the mouthpieces. They're constantly trying to recreate someone elses successful idea rather than just build the best damned guitars they can.We all like the "throwback" models obviously, but not one dime for innovation or increased quality.

Dantzig made fine guitars, something Fender should attempt to do a lot more often.

Current Junk:
      98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
        I'm sure that Jol will come back on his own. Now we will see a super price increase on Jol era Hamers!!!
        I've got two Hamer Specials, a '94 and '95... they're now for sale at $5,000 each! :idea: :ROTF:
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post

Funny how FMIC always wants to rid themselves of people who actually know what they're doing in order to keep everyone flying in the same mundane, vanilla, mediocre direction.
          Not trying to ring the bell for anyone, but bringing original employees back to Jackson was a pretty smart move.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
            Not trying to ring the bell for anyone, but bringing original employees back to Jackson was a pretty smart move.

sully
            +1

Comment

Jol left before and came back.
              Paul Hamer has been gone for years.

Let's see what happens before we throw dirt on the body.
              Not happy to hear he left, but, we have no other information.
              Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I know Jol personally, and I am sure he has a world of options before him. He is one of the smartest guys in the guitar industry for sure.

Having worked with Grover at FMIC, I was highly disappointed that they could not realize the value of having him there and keeping him creatively active. He is the best.
                Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

The Hamer website changed the next day. Too bad, there was something really cool about Jol's designs and concepts. Those Hamer Standards are guitars I literally dream about.

Comment

Most of the guitars people like on this forum - shredders - were not being made nor going to be made by Hamer anymore anyway.

Jol was doing mostly vintage builds with a few V's and Standards thrown in.

Their current builds were very expensive - $3 to 5K usually.

Hamers are very nice guitars if they fit your hands. Personally the necks are usually too small for me and the frets are usually medium - the necks have always felt fairly tiny to me.

Quality wise they are as good as any of the finest custom builds and from what I have seen are consistent in quality.
                    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post

sully
                      +1

Current Junk:

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                        I know Jol personally, and I am sure he has a world of options before him. He is one of the smartest guys in the guitar industry for sure.

Having worked with Grover at FMIC, I was highly disappointed that they could not realize the value of having him there and keeping him creatively active. He is the best.

IMHO....yeah, not trying to throw too much dirt YET other than to voice the opinion that having a principal that is personally invested in time, pride, etc. always bodes well for any endeavor.

Current Junk:

Comment

Working...
                        X