80s Fender "Strat" (script logo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80s Fender "Strat" (script logo)

I was cruisin one of the local axe slingers shops today and ran across an 80s "strat". The body and neck are in ok condition considering its age. The bridge system on it is the same Kahler system as on my Axtra. The electronics need some tlc (pots, switch), but the p/u are ok. The only 2 things that bother me are the fact that its jap made (which I assume is the norm for these models) and they have a tag on it of $799.
    Is this guitar somethin worth having (thought the tone and neck feel were excellent but the Jap thing bugs me) and is the price in a generally good range for the piece or a bit over priced. I liked it but dont want to get ripped by price and quality. Anyone who could help me out Id appreciate it. Thanks.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Sounds like an HM series. The 80's Japanese Fenders are pretty good and are great players. That price is pretty high though. What color was it?

Comment

Its black, what would you call a reasonable price on it; maybe I could talk them down.

Comment

450 to 550 depending on shape.

Comment

Guess Ill pass; these guys dont barter well to begin with so Ill never get them that low. Oh well.

Comment

What the hell is wrong with a Japanese Fender?They are awesome guitars.
            I have a 89 Jap Squier and its a dead on copy of a 60's strat and a damn nice guitar.As good as a USA IMO.
            Last edited by straycat; 02-04-2010, 11:28 PM.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              What the hell is wrong with a Japanese Fender?They are awesome guitars.
              +1. At one point in the 80s, (1986 when the company was flipped?) Fender didn't even have a US factory.

I have a 1989 HM Strat and it kicks serious ass, for being a pink guitar

If this is an HM Strat, they sell for around $400 on ebay. I know, because I'm tempted to get another one to find out if mine is a fluke for playing and sounding so good, or if they all are this good.

Comment

I would say that sounds way high on price at $799. I think they are smoking crack. those guitars were never hailed as collectables like regular fenders. that sounds like $300 to $400 guitar to me.
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  I have a 89 Jap Squier and its a dead on copy of a 60's strat and a damn nice guitar.As good as a USA IMO.
                  I had one of those from right around then, too. Damn nice guitar, and I wish I still had it.

Comment

Mine WAS lake placid blue but it's green as a gourd now.
                    Totally awesome playing strat.
                    The HM strats have collector value trust me.That price is a bit high tho.
                    I know where a real nice one is but its way too high too.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

There were so many variables in the MIJ's you'd have to see under the hood to know what you get in one of these. As far as feel, body and neck pretty damn good players. As far as specs to a authentic 60's , no, only the earliest JV-serials were vintage correct. www.21frets.com for info on the vintage correct ones.
                      Check-it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMKmQmkJ9gg

Comment

I miss my HM strat. It was sweet. 799 is too much though.

Comment

Wasn't there a neck-thru model somewhere in the "Strat" series?
                          |My CSG gallery|
                          (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

I had a MIJ Squier that played and sounded great. Even Jazz guitarist Johnny Smith said it played and sounded remarkable for $300...

I bought it in '83.

Comment

Working...
                            X