Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guitar(s) day! Warmoth Strats...

Well, these ain't new.

OK, one of them is. I've been meaning to do this for a while, I figured I'd wait until I had them both together. Both are 10-16 compound radius necks with 1-11/16ths nut width, and both are Alpine White, but that's about all they have in common.

First up we have a very 80's style single-hum, Alpine White, Alder Warmoth Strat body with a contoured heel, and a Black Korina neck.

To finish it off, a set of Gotoh tuners, Original Floyd Rose, CTS solid shaft 500K pot and a Duncan Custom TB5 in the bridge.

Another view of the neck... Note the rear-mount R3 Floyd nut (like I said, 80's style) and of course, the Gotoh's:

Bridge shot: This is what Warmoth calls a "flush mount" Floyd. This is exactly how I remember Kramers being in the 80's. Note there is not much room between the base plate and the body. It is set up dive-only but you could get a LITTLE pull-up without shimming the neck.

Now, also, I shim the bridge so the outer saddles are raised, which makes the saddle radius about 20". I like this on a Warmoth. I no longer do this to a 12-16 because it doesn't make enough difference to be worth the trouble. But, on the Warmoth, I like it.

6100-size fret wire. This is Warmoth "61GD" fret wire. Not quite as hard as stainless, but much harder than nickle. I think this is frets 2-4. I do NOT have a light touch, and the guitar has been played heavily for about 3 months... there is zero fret wear.

So, that one has been done for a while. Still needs to have the frets leveled but it's not bad at all, so I'll get around to it one of these weekends.

In the meantime, with that project a success, I decide to order something a little more off-beat...

You notice how you can't find a decent hard-tail Fender Strat? The Billy Corgan with the crap nitro over poly and the CBS boat-oar headstock is about it. So, I built one.

I took a few pictures before I put it together. This is a Mahogany body... Again, Alpine White

Bag of parts...

A little drilling and cussing later, here it is:

Wolfgang neck profile on the Bubinga neck... No finish. No oil, nothing. It doesn't "feel like bare wood" it actually IS bare wood.

Contoured heel...

And here is the kind-of-interesting part... The bridge:

So, Warmoth offers two Strat flat-mount bridges, Vintage and Narrow. Vintage is pretty wide esp. with a 1&11/16ths nut, so I chose the narrow.

I didn't think much of it until I took it out of the bag and saw the saddles; s-bent saddles. I don't generally like these, and I was hoping for something more like what's on the Gotoh and Hipshot bridges.

What's worse, when setting it up, because of the compound-radius board, the saddles were up REALLY high, out of the range of adjustment. I could have used longer screws, but the angle of the screw was actually starting to bend the "S" right out of the saddle!

I ordered a set of Graph Tech String Saver Classics for it in the "narrow" width, and they are slightly too narrow. I used 4 small squares of copper shielding tape between each pair of saddles and got them spaced properly. Works very well, and it's not really noticeable. I think you can sort of see it in the close-up pic but you'd never notice it in person.

looking good! I'd love to have a hardtail strat. Doesn't Toejam have one?
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Nice bubinga. I like. Sounds like an angry Italian guy from NJ. Bada-bubinga! Oh-a!
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Oh. These are just pure win! Love those necks...

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
          looking good! I'd love to have a hardtail strat. Doesn't Toejam have one?
          Thanks!

Yeah, I think I remember toejam saying he has one. They don't make them anymore, just the Billy Corgan and Robert Cray (MIM).

Actually I will say, the total damage on the Warmoth, even with the "exotic" neck, was less than a stock Billy Corgan ($1500), I ordered everything but the pickups from Warmoth and it was about $1K. Already had a case... Win!

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
          Nice bubinga. I like. Sounds like an angry Italian guy from NJ. Bada-bubinga! Oh-a!
          I picked Bubinga not only because it's fun to say ( ) but because it's the most tonally similar to Mahogany exotic wood that does not require any finish. It is HARD AS HELL, not fun to drill, easy to break screws if you're not careful.

Comment

Do they do bubinga bodies, too? (yeah I know I could look it up myself)

I'm thinking that neck would look great on a natural body in bubinga or mahagony - you'd just have to make sure the wood color matched.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Those do look really good, hope they play as nice.
              Jackson KV2
              Jackson KE1T
              Jackson KE1F
              Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                Do they do bubinga bodies, too? (yeah I know I could look it up myself)

I'm thinking that neck would look great on a natural body in bubinga or mahagony - you'd just have to make sure the wood color matched.
                I'm not sure if they do Bubinga bodies... I would assume so. I hate natural-finish guitars, though. It is getting browner than it was, it was very orange right at first.

Originally posted by Larz View Post
                Those do look really good, hope they play as nice.
                I'd like to say they do... But no. They sound great and don't play bad at all but to get the action down where I like it, they are going to need a fret level/dress, especially the hardtail. The overall feel of the necks is great, though!

If you like moderately high action then the out-of-the-box neck is probably OK but Warmoth doesn't claim they don't need a fret level. I haven't done either of them yet but I will soon. Maybe today.

Comment

Nice

The guitars look great! Congrats!

Comment

Cool! I'd prolly go with white matching headstocks, but that's just me. What exactly is that shim under the bridge?

I feel your pain on the hardtail strat thing. I went the Musikraft route to get mine. The Tom Delonges are hardtails too, but those are made in Mexico (and have odd specs).

Comment

I have no plans to do a matching headstock on the H/S Strat but the single-hum it has definitely crossed my mind a time or two. Enough that I bought white lacquer and clear and such. It's just the whole "taking it apart for a month" while I do it that I can't seem to get into.

Not sure exactly what you're asking about on the bridge shim... If you mean the saddle shims on the Floyd they are Allparts shims.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                        Not sure exactly what you're asking about on the bridge shim... If you mean the saddle shims on the Floyd they are Allparts shims.
                        Ah nevermind, I was off in the weeds for a bit. I'm back now.

Comment

What a sweet combination of parts and woods.
                          Nicely put together!!!
                          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                          --floydkramer

Comment

An update on this...

Over the weekend I leveled & dressed the frets on the hardtail. The first thing I do is, adjust the truss rod so the neck is as flat as possible. Well, I have never had such a challenge getting a neck flat.

As far as the frets, it wasn't out too far at all, but enough that the action wasn't very good. Mostly the 20th and 21st frets were high.

So after I got it done I did a quick setup on it and played it for a bit... Really liking this one now! It's a great player and the tone is really nice, bright but warm and the sustain is great.

Comment

That's a damed fine looking guitar , and keep tweaking. It usually takes several months for "parts" to begin to settle in and feel like a "guitar".

The vibe is fantastic
                              Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                              98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Working...
                              X